Discuss New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Not once have I seen them tamp the floor down or check for level, and how are you meant to wash the joints out??
Absolute wast of time effort and money, definitely not a tiler if you you have to use stuff like,
Tiling is a skill you hone over years not a process!..
DIY, DIY, DIY

Wow! Strong words Simon, a little bit of a knee jerk reaction maybe to a promotional video!
Emphasis on 'promotional' we all know they're designed to sell and not instruct! :)

It's also put me in my place, at least I know what category I fit into now,
I'm a DIY'er haha @Dan looks like I'm here under false pretences. :D

How can u possibly make such a sweeping statement having not even tried using them?

And actually Ray does say they have their uses just not on 600x300's.

Didn't get outta bed the wrong side today Simon did you?haha :rolleyes:

Are u saying that u've never laid a floor or tiled a wall and where u've had to build out or pack a tile with more adhesive than usual, and then come back next day and found that in actual fact u feel sure that overnight lots of little people have been 'doing a jig' over your floor, cos when u left you know, there were no lips?
If you say no I won't believe you! Haha
They can be used for manor of things, it just takes a little imagination as how they can be utilised other than laying a 600x300 floor!

So I thought I might show u how they can be used for all manor of things!

How about when u put up backer boards ready for mosaic? Ever consider the joints between the boards? How they can easily step!

image.jpg image.jpg

How about tiling a Dorma?
Tell me how many times Dorma window detail is the same both sides?
Tell me it doesn't look lopsided if they're not identical!
So how about adjusting the angle on the face side from the ceiling down, to make it symmetrical.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Or how about when u have to ramp a floor from an longstanding existing floor which is 50mm high of the proposed floor level across the other side of the room?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

S

Simon benn Leeds

Very impressive work indeed.

And no i didn't get out of the wrong side of bed this morning!!!!..., got out of the wrong side all this week ha ha (well at lest since someone wrote my van off last week) but that's another tale.

Yes off the cuff remarks on my behalf and apologies if it was insulting or offended anyone.

I'm just struggling to come to terms with the products purpose (I'll do some research) but tiling being one of the oldest trades we have managed perfectly well without these kind of (dare I say gimmicks)!.

Has anyone had any experience of breaking a tile out when the method has been used?
Just curious to see what the bed is like underneath?
When I lay floors (particularly large format and large areas) I like to lift the tile for reassurance that I have achieved a 100% coverage of adhesive with no hollows, plus I like to wash all the joints free from adhesive.

jobs hard enough without adding another element ha.

How would it work if the tiles are different thicknes? I.e installing a floor border? Some stone? If the tiles are cambered? (As is a lot of these new planked tiles).

Just curious?

Cheers

O

Old Mod

Very impressive work indeed.

And no i didn't get out of the wrong side of bed this morning!!!!..., got out of the wrong side all this week ha ha (well at lest since someone wrote my van off last week) but that's another tale.

Yes off the cuff remarks on my behalf and apologies if it was insulting or offended anyone.

I'm just struggling to come to terms with the products purpose (I'll do some research) but tiling being one of the oldest trades we have managed perfectly well without these kind of (dare I say gimmicks)!.

Has anyone had any experience of breaking a tile out when the method has been used?
Just curious to see what the bed is like underneath?
When I lay floors (particularly large format and large areas) I like to lift the tile for reassurance that I have achieved a 100% coverage of adhesive with no hollows, plus I like to wash all the joints free from adhesive.

jobs hard enough without adding another element ha.

How would it work if the tiles are different thicknes? I.e installing a floor border? Some stone? If the tiles are cambered? (As is a lot of these new planked tiles).

Just curious?

Cheers
Just quickly for now

S

Simon benn Leeds

image.jpg

Days work without.

(And boy was that a bad floor) electric resistance uth with a poor poor latex job.

P

p4ulo

Jesus @3_fall, you did all that in a day?? That's take me at least a week! Good work....really liking the tiles too.....

EDIT - Ooops, I re-read the post. I guess 3_fall you are saying you did all that with clips, and other fella did his in a day.
Both impressive. How long did yours take 3_fall??

O

Old Mod

As is yours @Simon benn Leeds
U just asked how they performed with a plank, so I just put up couple images. It's not to say they are used everywhere, but certainly in certain places they certainly help.
On the question of removal of a tile used with this system,
ask @AliGage,

How difficult was it to remove that kitchen tile in Shelperton Ali? The one that Peter snagged? (Hand on heart, it was less than 1mm high on one corner!!)

I'm not asking u to love them Simon,
I just think it's hard to form an opinion on something that you have no Experiance with mate that's all.

I don't think that's unreasonable. ;)

S

Simon benn Leeds

As is yours @Simon benn Leeds
U just asked how they performed with a plank, so I just put up couple images. It's not to say they are used everywhere, but certainly in certain places they certainly help.
On the question of removal of a tile used with this system,
ask @AliGage,

How difficult was it to remove that kitchen tile in Shelperton Ali? The one that Peter snagged? (Hand on heart, it was less than 1mm high on one corner!!)

I'm not asking u to love them Simon,
I just think it's hard to form an opinion on something that you have no Experiance with mate that's all.

I don't think that's unreasonable. ;)

I agree entirely it's hard to form an opinion without using them myself, and again I apologise if my comments seem criticism but I mean them more as questions.

I can see and understand now, the concept of them however on the original post with promo video I could not really the use for them. That's not to say I'll never give them a go, I mean if I were to be sent some foc I might be more inclined to try them!... Ha ha.

In terms of installation would it be safe to say it takes a fair bit longer to use the clips?

O

Old Mod

Personally I don't think so, no, in fact at times I'd say they improve on fitting time.
Most of the time u spend faffing around to get a tile absolutely perfect, can all but be eliminated!
Sorry for short answer, I'll expand later if needed. :)

S

Simon benn Leeds

Curiosity is getting the better of me now,

Won't be on the next job tho... 200mtr of 150x75 can't see that being productive time wise!..

Cheers for the input mate.

Reply to New Acorn Tile Levelling System in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay