Search the forum,

Discuss Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

What about products like Universeal rapid all in one? Ive had great results using it on damp stone. Ok it's solvent based and you really need a vapour mask using it, but it hands down beats any water based sealers I've used.

C

Concrete guy

What about products like Universeal rapid all in one? Ive had great results using it on damp stone. Ok it's solvent based and you really need a vapour mask using it, but it hands down beats any water based sealers I've used.

Products may have moved on in the 10 years since I was importing Stone.

That said, I find it difficult to grasp how you seal something that's wet. The fact it's wet means it won't absorb a great deal more fluid no matter if it's water or solvent based, that's a simple physics issue not a technical product issue.

H

hmtiling

Never even heard of that one impish. Offers longer protection than dry treat too. You rate it then?

O

One Day

That said, I find it difficult to grasp how you seal something that's wet. The fact it's wet means it won't absorb a great deal more fluid no matter if it's water or solvent based, that's a simple physics issue not a technical product issue.

I'm no chemist but a light solvent can displace larger water molecules can't it? If so, it'll drive water out and leave those c6 molecules sat nicely in the stone.

O

One Day

Never even heard of that one impish. Offers longer protection than dry treat too. You rate it then?

Honestly, yes. Superb product. Just make sure the vapour won't or can't be an issue. If it is an issue, stick with a water based sealer.

J

J Sid

For a number of years before I sold tooling I owned a stone import business. We predominantly imported marble and limestone from Portugal and Spain and without exception every crate or box of tiles we ever handled would have been packed at the production factory whilst it was still wet.

This is the main reason why it's not generally sensible to seal any of these products in any way before they are fitted and allowed to dry naturally. As in most cases you're trapping in production moisture on top of moisture being drawn in from whatever adhesive is being used.

Also consider that an already moist stone is not going to absorb any form of sealant to a degree that will allow it to perform to it's design standard.

I'm not entirely convinced the problem here is with the tiler. I feel it's a colour expectiation from a natural product that hasn't been explained particularly well.

Another common problem is whoever did the tiling display in the Fired Earth Showroom may have done so with a particularly white or clean batch of Carrara mosaic that maybe isn't representative of what is supplied.

I have 30mm Carrara Marble worktops in my kitchen, I had to search high and low to find a nice white slab that I was happy with. Much of the Carrara now being imported into the UK is a dirty grey with the odd splash of white, rather than a crisp white with a splash of grey.

at last some sense being spoken

J

J Sid

they make some big claims impish, to good to be true! Definitely hard to believe

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
The test was to determine the colour change without any moisture from the install bring present, I would advise this test on an unlaid tile prior to impregnating the main area on any floor, most products will state to test for suitabilty and to access colour change.
Next test could be to strip out the impregnator on these spare tiles,dry and test a water based as these quite often will not change or highlight the colour( test)

H

hmtiling

These are fired earth ' Hampton' sealed with stain stop and grouted with 110 ucp. I had the luxury of long drying times as they're was 5 more wet rooms to di in the house. They definitely went slightly darker and richer in colour but the client and myself thought they looked good. I've no before sealant photos though I'm afraid
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_WP_000064 (2).jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_WP_000069.jpg

Reply to Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen