Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

WaltWhite

I think the colour on these sheets and the other unlaid sheets is pretty much what I thought we would get in the floor. Expected some variation due to being marble. However the darker patches on the floor are v different to those unlaid sheets. Tiler says that was what he got when he opened the boxes. Fired earth saying installation or sheets should have been put aside if not acceptable and would have been replaced. The other Hampton pics are also classed as "extreme variation" by fired earth but are not too different to what is advertised by fired earth on website and in showroom. And here some posters suggesting it's installation. Basically I don't know whose right! But I will say @Lithofin BOB has been v helpful on phone!

W

WaltWhite

I do feel tiler could have had a word if sheets not right. My wife was in all day, she employed him.

W

WaltWhite

Tiler has offered to chop out darker sheets and put in unlaid sheets. Just don't know if this would wreck floor with the sheets being hexagon interlocking style

Reaction score
I think we are hoping for more folk to point the blame at the tiler.
I'm getting the jist of the mood in the camp, but I reckon your gripe is, and will remain with the Tiler, his cleanliness and his sealing process

C

Concrete guy

I do feel tiler could have had a word if sheets not right. My wife was in all day, she employed him.

With hindsight it's quite easy to come to this conclusion when presented with a fitted and finished item.

However it relies on the tiler understanding what you or your wife like the look of and also assumes that the mosaic sheet was obviously darker when dry before it was fitted and sealed.

I think your concern about removing a small area and replacing it is quite real, it's unlikely that replacing a single sheet would be an invisible repair given these are mosaics.

So what to do?

The real question is can you live with it or is it going to bug you every time you walk in the room?

You have two choices, live with it or replace it.

The cost of replacing may well determine if you can live with it or not.

W

WaltWhite

He did say the sheets were already darker but he thought that was the mix. the fact he knew it was carerra marble, being an experienced tiler I would have thought hang on these aren't what they're going for?

Anyway @ATSDiamondTools yiu are right either live with it or replace. Can't afford to replace tiles were £700. And the tiler was dear in my opinion on top. We were recommended by our plumber and went for a dearer tiler as we wanted it right. Not withstanding whether he is at fault or it here. We're always willing to pay more for a top job. Got a bad vibe when he had no wet cutter, bought one in the end when asked, and was messy. But whether he is at fault or not us seems to be up for debate. The wife is into interiors not holidays or fashion so bought tiles as a treat if u like, it's a shame they haven't ended up exactly how we thought. And she's had a crap time of late (marrried to me for starters!) But disappointed overall, will be sticking to ceramics mayb from now on...

C

Concrete guy

He did say the sheets were already darker but he thought that was the mix. the fact he knew it was carerra marble, being an experienced tiler I would have thought hang on these aren't what they're going for?

There's Carrara and there's Carrara, which one did you buy?

carrara-marble-honed-12x12-floor-and-wall-tile-cd-grade-14.gif

CD is pretty much the lowest saleable quality and it seems you have a reasonable amount of that making up your mosaics.

Were you even given a grading when you picked the tiles? Or were they simply sold as "Carrara hexagon mosaic".

I feel the retailers should be a lot clearer what they are selling, it would go a long way towards stopping problems like the one in this thread occuring.

O

One Day

Fired earth are now nothing more than Laura ashley for Tiles and stone though. Import everything from everywhere and their purchasing team are probably all under 25.

W

WaltWhite

No grading given, we ordered a couple of samples online. Then my wife phoned up and ordered over the phone as she was physically unable to get to store. They are saying they didn't give us any explanation over the phone as they thought she knew about these tiles due to ordering her samples ??? Also that some customers find it rude to be asked if they are familiar with these marble tiles???? Again b strange to me

W

WaltWhite

No grading given, we ordered a couple of samples online. Then my wife phoned up and ordered over the phone as she was physically unable to get to store. They are saying they didn't give us any explanation over the phone as they thought she knew about these tiles due to ordering her samples ??? Also that some customers find it rude to be asked if they are familiar with these marble tiles???? Again b strange to me

W

WaltWhite

The samples looked nothing like the darker patches although we expected variation . Just not like that!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Anyway @ATSDiamondTools yiu are right either live with it or replace. Can't afford to replace tiles were £700. And the tiler was dear in my opinion on top. We were recommended by our plumber and went for a dearer tiler as we wanted it right. Not withstanding whether he is at fault or it here. We're always willing to pay more for a top job. Got a bad vibe when he had no wet cutter, bought one in the end when asked, and was messy. But whether he is at fault or not us seems to be up for debate. The wife is into interiors not holidays or fashion so bought tiles as a treat if u like, it's a shame they haven't ended up exactly how we thought. And she's had a crap time of late (marrried to me for starters!) But disappointed overall, will be sticking to ceramics mayb from now on...

What experience do you have to base that on?

Stop trying to wriggle out of paying the tiler.

His experience would have led him to understand natural stone is natural and like any other sensible person would have assumed you were aware of that.

I wouldn't even blame fired earth, I'd blame you guys for not checking what was delivered was what you ordered and wanted.

W

WaltWhite

@Dan Noones trying to wriggle out of paying the tiler. Read all my posts before you come to that judgement. FYI My pregnant wife was knocked down by a car a couple of days after we bought the tiles, checking and opening tiles wasn't the priority then funnily enough. So we decided to pay someone who was recommended by our plumber (who has done a lot of work for my dad, a builder) hoping this job could be taken care of and my wife could carry on looking after our other kids and let her fractured ribs and cocsics mend. It hasn't worked out that way and if you had read my posts properlyI haven't just blamed the tiler. I have just asked for some guidance. Ur comment is out of order

Reply to Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks