Search the forum,

Discuss Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

WaltWhite

I think the colour on these sheets and the other unlaid sheets is pretty much what I thought we would get in the floor. Expected some variation due to being marble. However the darker patches on the floor are v different to those unlaid sheets. Tiler says that was what he got when he opened the boxes. Fired earth saying installation or sheets should have been put aside if not acceptable and would have been replaced. The other Hampton pics are also classed as "extreme variation" by fired earth but are not too different to what is advertised by fired earth on website and in showroom. And here some posters suggesting it's installation. Basically I don't know whose right! But I will say @Lithofin BOB has been v helpful on phone!

W

WaltWhite

I do feel tiler could have had a word if sheets not right. My wife was in all day, she employed him.

W

WaltWhite

Tiler has offered to chop out darker sheets and put in unlaid sheets. Just don't know if this would wreck floor with the sheets being hexagon interlocking style

Reaction score
I think we are hoping for more folk to point the blame at the tiler.
I'm getting the jist of the mood in the camp, but I reckon your gripe is, and will remain with the Tiler, his cleanliness and his sealing process

C

Concrete guy

I do feel tiler could have had a word if sheets not right. My wife was in all day, she employed him.

With hindsight it's quite easy to come to this conclusion when presented with a fitted and finished item.

However it relies on the tiler understanding what you or your wife like the look of and also assumes that the mosaic sheet was obviously darker when dry before it was fitted and sealed.

I think your concern about removing a small area and replacing it is quite real, it's unlikely that replacing a single sheet would be an invisible repair given these are mosaics.

So what to do?

The real question is can you live with it or is it going to bug you every time you walk in the room?

You have two choices, live with it or replace it.

The cost of replacing may well determine if you can live with it or not.

W

WaltWhite

He did say the sheets were already darker but he thought that was the mix. the fact he knew it was carerra marble, being an experienced tiler I would have thought hang on these aren't what they're going for?

Anyway @ATSDiamondTools yiu are right either live with it or replace. Can't afford to replace tiles were £700. And the tiler was dear in my opinion on top. We were recommended by our plumber and went for a dearer tiler as we wanted it right. Not withstanding whether he is at fault or it here. We're always willing to pay more for a top job. Got a bad vibe when he had no wet cutter, bought one in the end when asked, and was messy. But whether he is at fault or not us seems to be up for debate. The wife is into interiors not holidays or fashion so bought tiles as a treat if u like, it's a shame they haven't ended up exactly how we thought. And she's had a crap time of late (marrried to me for starters!) But disappointed overall, will be sticking to ceramics mayb from now on...

C

Concrete guy

He did say the sheets were already darker but he thought that was the mix. the fact he knew it was carerra marble, being an experienced tiler I would have thought hang on these aren't what they're going for?

There's Carrara and there's Carrara, which one did you buy?

carrara-marble-honed-12x12-floor-and-wall-tile-cd-grade-14.gif

CD is pretty much the lowest saleable quality and it seems you have a reasonable amount of that making up your mosaics.

Were you even given a grading when you picked the tiles? Or were they simply sold as "Carrara hexagon mosaic".

I feel the retailers should be a lot clearer what they are selling, it would go a long way towards stopping problems like the one in this thread occuring.

O

One Day

Fired earth are now nothing more than Laura ashley for Tiles and stone though. Import everything from everywhere and their purchasing team are probably all under 25.

Reply to Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen