Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unused Account 1

The bigger the tile the harder to fit ,best get someone to do it ,just being honest ,good luck

O

Old Mod

The expansion is around perimeter only.
The adhesive is to stick the board tapes down.
Word of caution, slc is not completely self levelling, you can easily easily make it worse!
Research techniques first.
If you can get help, do so.
On average consumption rate is 1.7kg per mm per m2 make sure you have enough.
Mix exact water quants as per instructions, mix and let it rest for 2-3 mins, mix again and use.
Get a mechanical whisk that inserts in to a drill, and a spiked roller.
The roller will expel excess air and help level it.
Topps will sell them.

M

mp3wizard

all around the perimeter yep, would the foam be the best method to avoid getting slc in the frame of bifolds?

M

mp3wizard

Hi, sorry, I'm not living at the property at the moment and don't have the dimensions on me. I will comeback to you on that.

I've been waiting for the rest of the work to finish before attempting anything with the floor but all the tradesmen are busy with other projects which is frustrating.

The most concerning thing at the moment is trying to work out what I can do with the floor level as the bifolds have been installed and are at the optimum height now, but by the time I got 6mm insulation down, another 3mm for self levelling compound, then tile width and adhesive it's going to be over 10mm, the doors cannot be installed at a different height to much work has gone in,

So what can I do? I know there needs to be a 5mm gap around the permiter, which id do with foam or expanding foam, but what can I do then when it’s time to lay the tiles, keep the 5mm gap and fill it with something afterwards?

F

Flintstone

5mm gap round the peremeter is not a problem,

The height of the floor, can't really be changed unless you start taking up the sub floor

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
You could always take the advice from earlier and get a tiler. You have all the other tradesmen in your words doing there jobs. A tiler will have been able to foresee these issues and sort the problem before it came up.
Now your money saving may prove not to be that much of a saving.

M

mp3wizard

Reading back your 3 posts Gamma, reminds me of the Referendum, don't do it, it's all going to end terribly, when I started the thread I already decided to do it myself, so there's not much point repeating it.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
Reading back your 3 posts Gamma, reminds me of the Referendum, don't do it, it's all going to end terribly, when I started the thread I already decided to do it myself, so there's not much point repeating it.
Fair enough. But reading through your posts you keep going after good advice until you get an answer that suits you. If you don't want to listen to the advice of the people on here why ask. You will never get to a point in a thread for you to complete this project. The shear amount of knowledge and potential fails that can and probably will happen cannot be condensed into a couple of paragraphs.
Good luck.

O

Old Mod

Out of curiosity, what is the measurement between your existing floor and the bifold door fame.
What allowance for build up do you have?

M

mp3wizard

Hi,

I don't know the measurements at the mo, but as you can see from the picture, there hasn't been enough space left, so I was intending to use edging strips and tile up to it after the boards, slc etc, and see what I can do with it. obviously it's not how it should of been done but there's nothing I can do about it now unless you have any better suggestions?

photo.JPG

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks