Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Lily Swizzle

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum so hope someone here has the knowledge to tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Started tiling around the bath a few days ago. All seemed to be going well till a couple of tiles fell off the wall in the middle of the night - didn't half give me a fright. I've used Unibond Tile Adhesive & Grout with anti-mould; and ceramic brick shaped tiles. House is over 100 years old and I'm tiling onto a wall with a few layers of paint on. (Did the kitchen a few years ago and had no problems at all - put adhesive onto tile rather than wall). Anyway, I've now had about 20 tiles fall off - the adhesive is on the back of the tiles and still a bit powdery..... think this could mean that it's the wall I have a problem with... should I have painted it with something? I've attached some piccies...... All help greatfully appreciated as I don't like to be defeated!! Thanks.
006.jpg Fallen tiles :thumbsdown:

005.jpg My poor wall.....

007.jpg I've still got to do behind the sink....

D

doug boardley

it's the paint Lily, you should've removed it first. Us pro tilers never use the tubbed adhesive/grout stuff either.

L

Lily Swizzle

Thanks for your advice Doug, I'll start again... will try another sort of adhesive & grout stuff too - I presume the mix it up yourself stuff is what you experts use is it? Hopefully I'll have learned something by the end of this nightmare!!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Doug above, that particular adhesive is rubbish, as Doug says remove the paint, prime the wall with SBR, use a cement based adhesive, (not ready mixed):thumbsup:

Reaction score
spot on phil,you should be able to save most of the tiles by scrapping of the addy SOONER THE BETTER ,not a nice job but easy enough with a bit of sweat.good luck

L

Lily Swizzle

Thanks Chris - Have started removing the rest of the tiles already before I lose anymore in the bath.... trusty scraper is out too.... will have to do some sort of a 'map' so I can see where the cut ones go when I'm fixing them on again...... so much to do!!

A

AJPlumbing

Good luck Lily. I think you've got an admirable attitude, I like your style when faced with a set-back.Also, your tiling looked really, really good, and they are a classy choice of tile, so when it's re-done with paint removed, wall primed, and better adhesive, I'm sure it will look superb and last for many, many years. Best of luck!

L

Lily Swizzle

Thanks for your encouragement! Just stopped for a cuppa and a 'surf' for suitable reasonably priced tile adhesive....not had my tea yet as I burnt it to a cinder.... oh dear..... am getting carried away with all this DIY malarkey and all you lovely people out there helping me!

D

doug boardley

Thanks for your encouragement! Just stopped for a cuppa and a 'surf' for suitable reasonably priced tile adhesive....not had my tea yet as I burnt it to a cinder.... oh dear..... am getting carried away with all this DIY malarkey and all you lovely people out there helping me!
just go down to your local tile shop Lily, I wouldn't bother getting any adhesive and grout off the internet.

L

Lily Swizzle

Here's the latest update - I'm knackered. Have nearly got all the tiles off the length of the bath side - scraping the grout off as I go. Here's some pics.... will hopefully finish that wall tonight and do the other one tomorrow. Don't suppose you guys know where I can get 4 pluggy things to plug the holes in the bath where I took the bath handles off do you? Just thought I'd ask if you had any ideas....... the people in B&Q gave me a strange look when I asked - think they thought I was an idiot.....Thanks for all your support - you've all been lovely x

011.jpg
012.jpg At least the marble I got out of a skip didn't smash!!

Reply to Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks