Currently reading:
Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice

Discuss Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

j8yba

Hi Guys

My tilers finished polishing off my black polished porcelain floor today in my shop, I went down there later on by myself to see how its looking. In the shop there are no lights as yet, but we have a floodlamp which lights the place up.

Upon inspecting the tiles, EVERY single one of them is scratched, theres swirls, lines, scuffs, blemishes, everything!

According to my Dad and the tilers today, whilst in the sunlight they didnt notice anything wrong, obviously Ive been back there tonight with my Dad whilst its dark and with spotlamp and he is gobsmacked!

What the hell has happened? The tilers seemed to know what they were doing, they used LTP grimex to clean, then LTP sealer (although I think they only left the sealer on for a few hours before continuing) They used towels at first for the grimex and first batch of sealer, then some industrial buffer to polish off.

The tilers are nice guys and I appreciate that the tiles were cheap from B&Q and most of them were bowed, but surely the surface shouldnt look as bad as this under light?? Some of the scratches are really bad.

The tiles also are not a real glossy finish, but a dull hazy finish, but i think this is the tile itself.

Ive attached some pictures but the camera hasnt really picked the scale of the scratches up.

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg IMG_2180.jpg IMG_2179.jpg If anyone can offer any advice or solutions, im all ears.
Where do I stand on getting this rectified?

J

j8yba

Hi...

They look like they still have transit wax on them, hence the fine scratches in that ... polished porcs do not scratch that easy, so this is my reasoning for saying that maybe the transit was was not removed correctly..

use ltp grimex neat on one tile in a not so noticeable area and see if t hat makes them look better..

How much elbow grease do you need to apply to get the T/wax off with Grimex? I think they went round with a towel to apply it and wipe it off, nothing technical.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Yes they're B&Q 500x500, Romsey tiles in a black pack of 4. They're still selling them today.

@Dave, no I found a company local. I'm not going to slag them off as hopefully this can be worked out.

aye,the ones i used last year were 600x600 but the same make,they seem to buy large batches every now and again. they do have dull ones and shinier ones,like has been said,loads of wax on these,needs a bit of work to take off

O

ozboz

Hiya, I have fixed loads of these things, transit wax I found to come off using white spirit and a Bosch buffer, before I grouted. As for the scratching, as we know they shouldnt, but, to my knowledgr thes things are made in China, so maybe there is some fault in the tile body. But if I was the tiler, I take a few off cuts of spares and using different metel instruments see if i can pysically mark the surface, if yes then its a manufacturing issue, if not then the transit wax removal looks like the main contender for the problem. But just because they are cheap from B&Q doesnt always mean they are not very good. I have fixed them for friends and family alike and had no problems, in fact they have been quite good, any way I hope you can sort it out mate , good luck !

J

j8yba

Hi again, well last night i tried my best to remove the transit wax, but i really dont think theres any on there. on the back of the box, the description says these tiles are pre-sealed? but we sealed them anyway.

You can physically scratch/mark the the tile just by dragging a screwdriver over the tile with minimal pressure.

The tilers have been back today and are flumoxed, they've never seen this before and have stressed that it isnt something they have done to the tiles out of the ordinary.

The tilers brought an electrical hand-polisher/buffer with them and some other compounds, which only seemed to leave a dull blemish on the tiles and didnt remove much of the scratch.

Ive been back to B&Q and spoke to the deputy manager who tells me they havent had any of these tiles back, and theyve sold thousands of them, shes going to contact the QC department at Head Office to see what they say.

Im really at a loss with this now, the job has cost me the best part of £2500 and I have a 60sq M floor which was supposed to be a focal point in the shop which now makes my stomach turn everytime i think about it.

P

Peter

Had a similar problem with black B&Q 600x600 laid in a bathroom. Fitted and grouted them with no problems. Next day the builder rang saying she wasn't paying because the tiles were all scored. Had a look and there were 2-3 short scores side by side all over the tiles. Ended up having to replace 8 tiles in a bathroom with 11 tiles but knew they weren't scraped when I laid them, even though no other trades had been in after me. When I was removing the tiles, I noticed that there were black and white hairs on the floor too, which just happened to be the colour of her dog. :mad2:

D

DHTiling

Hi again, well last night i tried my best to remove the transit wax, but i really dont think theres any on there. on the back of the box, the description says these tiles are pre-sealed? but we sealed them anyway.

You can physically scratch/mark the the tile just by dragging a screwdriver over the tile with minimal pressure.

The tilers have been back today and are flumoxed, they've never seen this before and have stressed that it isnt something they have done to the tiles out of the ordinary.

The tilers brought an electrical hand-polisher/buffer with them and some other compounds, which only seemed to leave a dull blemish on the tiles and didnt remove much of the scratch.

Ive been back to B&Q and spoke to the deputy manager who tells me they havent had any of these tiles back, and theyve sold thousands of them, shes going to contact the QC department at Head Office to see what they say.

Im really at a loss with this now, the job has cost me the best part of £2500 and I have a 60sq M floor which was supposed to be a focal point in the shop which now makes my stomach turn everytime i think about it.

See now if you said they were pre-sealed then i would have known there would be no transit wax on them, but wiping with grimex would have affected the pre-seal anyway..

Let us know what B&Q say...

O

ozboz

A product fired as high as this should not really be affected by minimal abrasion, so got to be a manufacturing problem, the only problem ive ever heard B&Q admit to as far as tiles go is the wax removal problem, but , if you take some back to store and demonstrate how easily they are damaged , you may get lucky, after all it is one of the purposes for installing this type of decorative functional cladding to withstand wear and tear above other floor coverings, have a go at them ,

J

j8yba

A product fired as high as this should not really be affected by minimal abrasion, so got to be a manufacturing problem, the only problem ive ever heard B&Q admit to as far as tiles go is the wax removal problem, but , if you take some back to store and demonstrate how easily they are damaged , you may get lucky, after all it is one of the purposes for installing this type of decorative functional cladding to withstand wear and tear above other floor coverings, have a go at them ,

Good idea, whats a good method/tool of showing them what scratches, ie, what shouldnt scratch it if I take one along? Im not sure if taking a screwdriver there and scratching it with that will be as effective as something else?

J

j8yba

Stand in line at the returns desk (usually a long queue :lol:) and kick up a stink - they are usually quite good once you get to the manager or his deputy.

How does this method work if all of these statements are true.. A) I bought them over 3 months ago, and they've been sat under the stairs... b) ive lost the receipt (but paid via debit card) c) they're already laid and grouted, so returning them isnt really an option!

G

Gazzer

The sad thing is, we've now laid covering all over the floor whilst the rest of the work is carried out, and we're scared to walk on them in case we scratch them, just from walking?!! Surely this isnt right??

Of course its not right, they are floor tiles and are to get walked on. Dont get fobbed off with things such as " you must have scratched them with your shoes" or " Oh well these are for domestic only as we are a DIY store "

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
How does this method work if all of these statements are true.. A) I bought them over 3 months ago, and they've been sat under the stairs... b) ive lost the receipt (but paid via debit card) c) they're already laid and grouted, so returning them isnt really an option!

A. I've taken goods back that I deemed not fit for purpose 8 months after purchase date
B. The tile is a B&Q tile, this along with credit card statement will suffice
C. Obviously, but you are after some kind of recompense on account of them not being fit for purpose - You must have some spare tiles
or even off cuts to demonstrate how easy they scratch?

Kick up a stink mate and refuse to leave and they will try to sort something - whether their solution is acceptable to you
is a different story but something is better than nothing. If this doesn't work take pictures and send direct to B&Q complaints department along with
any other relevant info.

Last edited:

Reply to Heavily scratched 'just laid' porcelain floor...advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.