Search the forum,

Discuss grout stained porcelain in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

macken

hi, last week i laid a 60x60 black porcelain tile,that the shop said were sealed and didnt need sealing.while grouting with the dreaded black grout i noticed the tile absorbing the grout.all tiles now have that framed look where i got grout on.any help please.

D

DHTiling

hi, last week i laid a 60x60 black porcelain tile,that the shop said were sealed and didnt need sealing.while grouting with the dreaded black grout i noticed the tile absorbing the grout.all tiles now have that framed look where i got grout on.any help please.

A fully vitrified tile does not absorb moisture to the extent of picture framing.

Fully vitified porcelain is 0,05% moisture absorbent and practically won't soak moisture in.

this sounds more like grout clinging to the open pores of the tiles surface...:thumbsup:

M

macken

hi dave,not sure if polished or not.they are dull on top and if you look at clay there seems to be 2 layers.any tips on removing grout stains thanks.

D

DHTiling

if you look at clay there seems to be 2 layers

That sounds more like a vitified porcelenato and can be a glazed or rough textured tile...

Have you got a pic or tile name..?

M

Matt

thanks,but do you think any of the lithofins or lpt products will clean it off for me.

It depends what is causing the problem. If it is grout haze, then LTP Grimex should do it.

As Dave says, Porcelain has a very low porosity level, so the chances of the grout "soaking in" are pretty much none, which points to grout that has keyed into the pores on the surface.

We need to identify the problem to find the right solution, pics would be great if you can :)

Edit: When you look at the edge of the tile, what does it look like?

M

macken

thanks matt.i will try the grimex,hopefully it is as dave says and is only in the pores.
when you look at side of tile the top 3mm is black and the bottom is grey.
the surface of tile is like a school blackboard.

M

Matt

thanks matt.i will try the grimex,hopefully it is as dave says and is only in the pores.
when you look at side of tile the top 3mm is black and the bottom is grey.
the surface of tile is like a school blackboard.

Is the bottom grey with black specks in it?

M

macken

the tiles are charcoal grey underneath with a white ish spots/fleck.
id say jay`s picture is very like them.hopefully he has the answer.
i wont be seeing tiles again till next week,so i welcome all possible solutions to my problem.thanks.

Reply to grout stained porcelain in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen