Search the forum,

Discuss General newbie advice needed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I have to tile a bathroom with 300*600*9 Porcelain tiles. They are the Zafira tiles from B&Q. They are not polished but are smooth and have a sheen to them and there is a cloudy effect printed on them. They do not seem to absorb water drops but the packaging says they are unsuitable for outdoor use presumably due to risk of absorbtion and frost damage. They were very very cheap so may not be of the highest grade.

1. I am really confused as to whether they need to be sealed or not as I have read lots of horror stories about staining of unsealed tiles. How do I tell?

2. I am new to this so I am scared that when I lay them the adhesive will ooze up between the joints leaving no room for grout. Is there an easy way to avoid this so I dont have to rake it out?

3. I am worrried that the adhesive with get all over the surface of the tiles and ruin them. Should I use masking tape or is there a spray or something I can protect them with?

4. If I do get adhesive on the surface, what is the best way to remove it without loads of water running behind the tiles and diluting the adhesive?

Thanks

R

Rich

General advice - Use a sponge for everything!:thumbsup:

I love it John, short and sweet.
The mans right tho. Before you start laying the tiles get a bucket of clean water and a clean sponge next to you and as you lay the tiles just gently wipe any adhesive off of the tile and out of the joints as you go. The adhesive shouldnt do any harm to the tiles if you wash it off straight away. What adhesive and grout are you going to be using?
As for sealing the tiles, I havnt used B&Q tiles so I couldnt say, is there a phone number on the box that you can phone to find out?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

hi mate, sorry not familiar with that tile. A good quality porcelain will absorb next to no water, I would ask B&Q if they need sealing (I suspect they will) if so it is advisable to seal prior to fixing, face and sides. As for adhesive oozing up through joints, if you choose the correct size notched trowel, one that will give you as close to 100% coverage as poss. You can rake the joints out as you go, if you have pre-sealed the tiles any adhesive on the face will easily clean off:thumbsup: hope this makes sense and helps:smilewinkgrin:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Timeless John & Dylante have just beat me to it again, I started typing my reply 25mins ago. And I thought I was getting faster:oops:

Reaction score
1. I am really confused as to whether they need to be sealed or not as I have read lots of horror stories about staining of unsealed tiles. How do I tell?

By the sounds of it they are a glazed porcelain, therefore I would say no they don't need sealing - BUT check with B&Q...

2. I am new to this so I am scared that when I lay them the adhesive will ooze up between the joints leaving no room for grout. Is there an easy way to avoid this so I dont have to rake it out?

Get the right size notched trowel like Phil says and you'll be OK:thumbsup: 10mm half circle notch is fine look at the Rubi one on TradeTiler website

stainless-u-220.jpg

3. I am worrried that the adhesive with get all over the surface of the tiles and ruin them. Should I use masking tape or is there a spray or something I can protect them with?

No - just wash the adhesive off before it sets - that timescale will be determined by which adhesive you use:thumbsup:

4. If I do get adhesive on the surface, what is the best way to remove it without loads of water running behind the tiles and diluting the adhesive?

If you use the right notched trowel you won't get adhesive on the face, but just wash with a sponge if you do

And remember - If in doubt, JUST ASK:thumbsup:

Last edited:
D

DHTiling

They are not polished but are smooth and have a sheen to them and there is a cloudy effect printed on them.

Seems to be a porcelain body and glazed surface.. no sealer required..

Normally it is polished and through bodied porcelain that needs sealing...

S

shogun rua

[QUOTE

2. I am new to this so I am scared that when I lay them the adhesive will ooze up between the joints leaving no room for grout. Is there an easy way to avoid this so I dont have to rake it out

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Just run the spacer along the joint when the adhesive is wet to clean the joint

Reply to General newbie advice needed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, hope you are all having a good weekend. I am going to be tiling the splashback...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen