Search the forum,

Discuss Floating floor replacement in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Hi. I can see how that would be very rigid but if I've got it right I'd not have any insulation under the floor and I'm not having under floor heating.
a block and beam floor is a raised floor not connected to the ground and vented so you have 30 mm screed
plus 100 mm of beam just how much perma frost do we get in the uk or did i miss somethink the beam is an insulater the screed is an insulater the tile is an insulater do you have snow and frost failing from your ceiling

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Problem with this country is its insulation mad .
I'm sure government has some kind of deal with insulation manufacturers like kingspan to use sell loads of the stuff, Christ my extension has more insulation than the bloody space shuttle :grin:personally I think it's all balls:innocent:

A

ARC123

I'm now confused as the tiler contracted to the kitchen supplier (they are supplying all trades) says he's happy to overlay the floating floor with 18mm ply and tile with a 10mm bed of flexible cement. The tiles are 450x450 ceramic. After speaking to the tech dept at Marmox they felt that 40mm Multiboard onto the a screed on the block and beam was a good solution. Next question is who is liable for any failure ? As my contract is with the kitchen supplier and I'm only paying them I'm assuming they are liable for any defects.

O

Old Mod

No matter what the substrate, ply is not a suitable material to tile on to!
A professional tiler who is up to date with latest practises would know this.

A

ARC123

No matter what the substrate, ply is not a suitable material to tile on to!
A professional tiler who is up to date with latest practises would know this.
I'm not happy tiling into ply and I've made it clear I'm happy to pay to have the floor ripped out and replaced with Marmox at my cost! I want a job that is done correctly and 100% not to fail through inadequate substrate

Is the solution I proposed a sound one? I've seen this recommended in a few threads as a replacement for the Floating Floor.

J

J Sid

rip out and replace with insulation board is the way I go.
and at that point I normally recommend fitting wet ufh to clients which doesn't add to much to the cost.

Reply to Floating floor replacement in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen