Discuss Failure! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hey guys, as usual I've got a problem and I'm looking for help! My mum has lived in her house for 12 years and the entrance hall and kitchen floors were tiled by the previous owner. To be honest it wasn't the best tiling job and some tiles sounded a little hollow but had no damage etc.

About two weeks ago 2 rows of tiles accross the kitchen started to swell up. Like rise up! This quickly turned to grout cracking and the tiles lifted more. There are no spare tiles, and it has cut tiles as skirting. I wanted to try and lift the tiles if possible to perhaps relay them to save a bigger job. I have lifted the most of them tonight. Broke a bit of one but mum is happy enough for me to reuse it but under the fixed table.

When I lifted them some of the tiled look like them have never been making contact with the mainly solid bed. The adhesive looks 2 different Colours below the tiles. Some is hard and some is crackly n flakey. I'm not too sure what has happened esp so quickly and after so long of having no problems. I'm esp concerned with the fact its 2 rows in a straight line across the room and the rest of the floor is as before. The screed/adhesive seems dry etc i was worried of maybe a water leak etc can I test for this anyway?

I'll fire up some pics

Thanks for reading and sorry for the essay!

Reaction score
image.jpg

Reaction score
Can I ask your reasoning?

What are the symptoms of this?

I believe that there's something untoward going on but I have to explain it to my mother!

Reaction score
This is where it gets interesting! Her central heating boiler occasionally needs topped up ( the water in it) there's a guage on the boiler n a line to do it. The plumber told her this isn't normal n there must be an issue but if only a little bit not too worry. I've always been dubious as too where the water is going!

Reaction score
The adhesive is dry to the touch. Would this be why there appears to be different COlours of addy, its the same with wet patches?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The adhesive is dry to the touch. Would this be why there appears to be different COlours of addy, its the same with wet patches?
Could well be.....plus years ago there were some real naff floor adhesive out there that would just disintegrate if they got continually wet.

L

LM

Yeah years ago there was a lot of cr*p adhesive sold over here like Durabond etc that most DIY stores that sold tiles like that would have pushed. That added to practically no grout gap in the tiling has probably contributed heavily to the failure.

Reply to Failure! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks