Search the forum,

Discuss epoxy grout with absorbent tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paslode

Posted a thread a week ago about my bathroom,nonvitreius tiles and would they absorb water in the shower.have decided to use kerapoxy to hopefully ensure no water gets through the joints (hopefully!) Used ultracolor on the rest and it seemed to dry very very fast I'm guessing the tiles sucked it dry?Will the same happen with the epoxy ?many thanks alex

P

Paslode

Will the epoxy go fast too I know it's a nightmare normally but if it dries faster again then I am in trouble!

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Kerapoxy isn't too bad to use, get the room cool ( not sweltering hot ) and warm up the Kerapoxy before mixing and you'll be fine if it's just the shower enclosure, pot life of about 45 minutes, just make sure you have a) plenty of clean water b) more clean water and c) more clean water, pads and sponges.

HTH's

P

Paslode

Kerapoxy isn't too bad to use, get the room cool ( not sweltering hot ) and warm up the Kerapoxy before mixing and you'll be fine if it's just the shower enclosure, pot life of about 45 minutes, just make sure you have a) plenty of clean water b) more clean water and c) more clean water, pads and sponges.

HTH's
I have a 5kg tub do I split it down into smaller batches or do you think I could do the whole enclosure in one mix? About 8m2

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
I would say go for it in one, do two sides and check to see how the starting point looks, it really depends on a few things, how quick you are at application and temp of room, absorbancy etc, I was doing 5kg tubs in June, 5mm joints upside down, yep, on a ceiling and it was fine, as I say, warm up the Kerapoxy first by setting the tubs next to a heat source.

Good luck, and we like pictures we do.

P

Paslode

Thanks for the advice,the tiles are 600x300 so there rant that many grout lines although the back wall has a vertical panel which is scored 4 times per tile ,I thought bearing in mind I haven't used it before of splitting in half and doing the two ends then the back wall in another mix?how many times do I go over it with a sponge and hot water?thanks again

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Get yourself some emulsifying pads for the initial clean off, use in a circular motion, you'll see when doing it how it cleans any excess away from the joints then go over with your sponge and water, you go over it as many times as needed to clean off any haze and or grout, do NOT leave any grout behind, also it wouldn't hurt to tape off any surfaces that meet the grout lines, i.e painted walls, shower enclosure etc.

Make sure you have ALL your tools ready, before mixing, as for trying to split the tub into 2 mix's, I wouldn't, parts a and b are measured weights, get the mix wrong and your grout could set up way too quick.

Just a thought, here, what tiles are you using, I'm just thinking of possible staining ?

P

Paslode

Get yourself some emulsifying pads for the initial clean off, use in a circular motion, you'll see when doing it how it cleans any excess away from the joints then go over with your sponge and water, you go over it as many times as needed to clean off any haze and or grout, do NOT leave any grout behind, also it wouldn't hurt to tape off any surfaces that meet the grout lines, i.e painted walls, shower enclosure etc.

Make sure you have ALL your tools ready, before mixing, as for trying to split the tub into 2 mix's, I wouldn't, parts a and b are measured weights, get the mix wrong and your grout could set up way too quick.

Just a thought, here, what tiles are you using, I'm just thinking of possible staining ?
They are a ceramic Matt glazed tile which on the box says nonvitreous hence why I want to use epoxy so as to ensure water doesn't get through the joints, I also have a vertical feature on the back wall which are a sealed porcelain .thanks again for your help.
ps I have a epoxy
grout float 6 emulsifying pads and 5sponges ,enough?

Reply to epoxy grout with absorbent tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Guys, I'm unsure what grout to choose for our latest project and I'm hoping you can help. We're...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen