Search the forum,

Discuss Diagonal cuts - which tile cutter would you recommend. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JDX

Hello, I'm working on the bathroom floor and need advice on choosing a cutter to make diagonal cuts.
I have fitted a 1200 x 1200 Marmox showerlay former with offset drain & I need to make the diagonal cuts in my tiles to align with the
slopes of the tray. The tiles are 60cm x 30cm - the diagonal cuts are 60cm plus then. I have a Rexon RTC 200A which I have used for all the other tiling but it will not handle these tiles because they are too big. Does anyone know where I can hire a cutter which can handle this task or if I have to buy a cutter to make a few cuts, then what would you recommend please. (It seems expensive to have to buy one but I guess I can ebay it afterwards). Thanks. ( I'm in North Essex. )

S

steve187

will a dry cutter such as a rubi tx not do the job,

if you need a wet cutter why not hire one.

I

Ian

A dry cutter will do the job only problem being, with envelope cuts you need to add a grout line so a blade cut is the best way of achieving that. Either a wet saw or a grinder.

J

JDX

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you're right, after giving it more thought, I realised that a dry cutter wouldn't work. When you say a grinder, are you referring to a hand held angle grinder? I have one which I use for tidying up corners etc but do you use one for straight cuts? How do you keep it accurately straight on a line?

J

JDX

Thanks for the reply. Having thought about it some more, no a dry cutter won't work. It has to be a wet cutter able to long lengths. I have looked at hiring but I'm really tight :lol: & it seems so expensive given I only need to make 8 cuts & the minimum hire period seems to be 2 days....... I struggle with wasting that amount of money but it looks like I have no choice unless I can find a friendly local tiler who may let me use a machine for a drink!

I

Ian

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you're right, after giving it more thought, I realised that a dry cutter wouldn't work. When you say a grinder, are you referring to a hand held angle grinder? I have one which I use for tidying up corners etc but do you use one for straight cuts? How do you keep it accurately straight on a line?

Use your dry cutter to score a straight line then, use the grinder or wet saw to follow this line. You will need a steady hand and a good blade in the grinder. I have had a few years practice so don't find it difficult keeping the line straight, a few practice cuts may be in order before you tackle the real deal.

J

JDX

Hmmn, thanks. I hadn't thought of that method scoring first then using a grinder or wet saw. I will try that...

Reply to Diagonal cuts - which tile cutter would you recommend. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen