Currently reading:
Diagonal cuts - which tile cutter would you recommend.

Discuss Diagonal cuts - which tile cutter would you recommend. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JDX

Hello, I'm working on the bathroom floor and need advice on choosing a cutter to make diagonal cuts.
I have fitted a 1200 x 1200 Marmox showerlay former with offset drain & I need to make the diagonal cuts in my tiles to align with the
slopes of the tray. The tiles are 60cm x 30cm - the diagonal cuts are 60cm plus then. I have a Rexon RTC 200A which I have used for all the other tiling but it will not handle these tiles because they are too big. Does anyone know where I can hire a cutter which can handle this task or if I have to buy a cutter to make a few cuts, then what would you recommend please. (It seems expensive to have to buy one but I guess I can ebay it afterwards). Thanks. ( I'm in North Essex. )

J

JDX

Thanks for the reply. Having thought about it some more, no a dry cutter won't work. It has to be a wet cutter able to long lengths. I have looked at hiring but I'm really tight :lol: & it seems so expensive given I only need to make 8 cuts & the minimum hire period seems to be 2 days....... I struggle with wasting that amount of money but it looks like I have no choice unless I can find a friendly local tiler who may let me use a machine for a drink!

I

Ian

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you're right, after giving it more thought, I realised that a dry cutter wouldn't work. When you say a grinder, are you referring to a hand held angle grinder? I have one which I use for tidying up corners etc but do you use one for straight cuts? How do you keep it accurately straight on a line?

Use your dry cutter to score a straight line then, use the grinder or wet saw to follow this line. You will need a steady hand and a good blade in the grinder. I have had a few years practice so don't find it difficult keeping the line straight, a few practice cuts may be in order before you tackle the real deal.

Reply to Diagonal cuts - which tile cutter would you recommend. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have sliding shower doors. The tiles are 600x1200 blue/grey onyx style which I would like to look like one...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement