Discuss cutting metal trims in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

trevor1980

Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent tool to cut and mitre metal tiletrims?..I've tiled a kitchen today with 5 lengths of metal trim with about 20 mitred corners using a broken plastic mitre box and a junior hacksaw...needless to say it wasn't enjoyable!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have a Makita chopsaw and I put a metal blade into it for cutting trims, corners are bang on 45 everytime. Means I have to trail a big saw about but it's only for the day when trims go on.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's terrible when doing three way mitres. L-shaped and a good hacksaw is the way to go.

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I use my evolution rage mitre saw, comes with a multi purpose blade that gives a good finsh on metal trims as long as you take it slow

I

Ian

I use one of the genesis mitre boxes from CTD, great little tool. I do keep meaning to buy a mini chop saw but haven't seen one I like the look of yet. A cordless one would be ideal.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
As above I use my Evo Rage , generally I tend to mitre them at home rather than take the Rage to work. Funnily enough I've just done a house over the last couple of days using metal trim. I loaded it out Weds afternoon , and counted how many mitres there were and just mitred both ends of 6 lengths weds night. Just a case of cutting to length on site then with a junior hacksaw ( the internals are cut square ).

I also keep a set of templates ( 3 pieces ) for the 2 tile splashbacks in the WCs for this particular builder , its always the same ( portrait - porcelanosa 333 x 200 ) and cut a set at home for each new plot. No messing about then , 2 tiles on , slide in the ready made trim set . :0)

Diggy

S

SJPurdy

You will find a full size hack saw, with a fine tooth blade easier to use than a junior one, it's easier to keep straight in the mitre block as it is less likely to twist and cut into the block.

D

D man

Ultra thin metal grinder blades from wickes are excellent for mitring metal trim u get about 5 for £12

Reply to cutting metal trims in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks