Search the forum,

Discuss Can you tile a shower & grout the same day? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

scottish tiler

just becouse it says you have to wait 24hrs dosnt mean you need to, say you had 2 m2 to tile in the middle of a plain wall, are you going to tile it and *** back the next day to grout it?, and for the past 9 years that i started my trade every tiler i have worked with would agree with me on this subject

G

grumpygrouter

You may be right with a couple of square metres of kitchen splashback, though I would suggest that the majority of contributors on here would generally disagree with you on this topic. I certainly wouldn't grout same day if it was a full wall using tub adhesive. Might "just" consider it if it was very small format tiles as there would be lots of area for evaporation during the day, and it was a long way to go back "just" for grouting. Though there is the subsequent silicone application to consider too.

Grumpy
Grumpy

D

DHTiling

The best way if you know you have to be finished in the same day is to use a fast setting adhesive..bs 5385 states dispersion adhesive's require a minimum of 24hrs sometimes longer depending on the substrate and tile format.....alot of fixers will tile and grout the same day as we know but the correct way is to do as mentioned...hope this helps.......

P

penno

Sometimes you just can't come back and grout the next day. If it is for instance a small splashback and the walls are done for midday then i just pop off for a butty and return a few hours later to grout.

Something like a showered area though i always give it until the next day.

D

DHTiling

..If you know you have to be finished the same day then why use a dispersion adhesive....surely it is correct practice to use a fast setting cement based product....no cutting corners and a job done in a day....
So following bsi guide lines is the way to go.....:yes:

P

penno

..If you know you have to be finished the same day then why use a dispersion adhesive....surely it is correct practice to use a fast setting cement based product....no cutting corners and a job done in a day....
So following bsi guide lines is the way to go.....:yes:

Well i had half a tub of blue star in the van and it was a very small splashback just behind the cooker, i know i shouldn't :(

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we all know that if we did anything that could be done in a day and there's no chance of leaving it for the next day to grout as you're not going to be anywhere near that job again for weeks then you'd do your best and grout it. If you knew that was the case though you should have perhaps used cement based adhesive.

But if you're fixing any tile more than 200 x 200mm's and anything more than half a decent wall you're running a risk of grouting up too early if you do it the same day, and it should really be left.

The adhesive guys can tell if a job fails due to a dispersion adhesive being grouted to early and providing you're ok with guaranteeing the job yourself should it fail, or you're willing to fight with the customer for blame, then go for it. But I'd always try to opt for cement based adhesive if you're not coming back tomorrow to grout.

Reply to Can you tile a shower & grout the same day? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen