Discuss Applying primer - advice please :-) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gixerguy

Morning all!
I have had a nightmare previously with tiles and thanks to your site Im making progress again lol i have a question about the Granfix acrylic primer - the instructions for plaster priming say to mix 3:1 water to primer and apply to seal. It then says apply 2 neat coats before using cementitious addy. Am I reading that as my walls need sealing 3:1 then a further 2 neat coats before tiling or "if used as sealant do 3:1" or "2 neat coats before addy". The salesman said just 3:1 and off I go but you guys are the pros - he's only a salesman for a reason lol
Also, whats the drying time before addy is applied? Should it be dry, tacky, ?
Thanks in advance for your help with this!!!
Cheers!!

F

faithhealer

I think its telling you to apply a 3.1 coat to soak into the plaster then two coats on top. I generally use 2 coats of 3.1 or three if I have some primer to use up ! Drys in an hour in normal room temp

G

Gazzer

Its 3.1 if using a ready mixed adhesive or 2 coats neat if using a cement based adhesive.

Reaction score
Deffo not 3:1 THEN another neat 2 coats....:yikes:

You just need the neat coats on their own when using cement based as it reacts with the gypsum plaster background:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I have used granfix acrylic primer many times, 2 coats and away you go, first coat dries in minutes, second about 40 mins depending on room temperature.

:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
|I would use Water Dispersible Epoxy personally......

Reaction score
I have used granfix acrylic primer many times, 2 coats and away you go, first coat dries in minutes, second about 40 mins depending on room temperature

Dead right - I would have said about an hour for the two coats before tiling:thumbsup:

G

Gixerguy

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention the addy lol its granfix powder so it'll be two coats neat then addy :)

Im guessing I ought to do the tanking first as well to get the overlap the right way too ?

Cheers!

G

Gixerguy

I will probably use a BAL WP1 kit as it's popular on here so thats gotta mean something lol unless of course there's a better option? :)

Reply to Applying primer - advice please :-) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks