Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

If the tiles are curved and your going brick bond, your gonna have problems no may get what you do. I would stack them. Dare I ask, are they cheap tiles off the internet?

You can get a product called mosaic mesh, I use this when doing any mosaic strips. Gives them some rigidity and stops them moving about.

D

DaveM

The only problem I have is that the Mrs really wants the brick pattern, but she understands that she will have to wait to get new tiles to have it. I could live with them stacked.

As for cheap, not the cheapest, but around 20 a sq/m. Wickes replica they are called. There were a couple of reviews stating that they had bowed tiles, but I wrongly assumed it was just a bad batch.

@Localtiler I saw a vid on youtube where a tiler applied the adhesive to some stuff that he called membrane, then pressed the mosaic onto that, and then left it to harden and then cut the mosaic into strips and stuck them on the wall. is that what you mean? Thanks for the info!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Stack'em Dave M - listen to the pros! We see the trends and can confirm half bond is going out of fashion.
If the Mrs is insistent then you could compromise and put them on the 3/4 bond. This will also reduce the problems caused by the bowed tiles somewhat.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
20160705_160422.jpg
To get over the difference in thickness of the tiles and the mosaics you can introduce a bit of bling to your bathroom. In the above picture I have tiled a shower with a large tile, then a 10mm chrome trim, then the mosaics, then a 10mm chrome trim and then a large tile. The picture may be a little fuzzy as camera flash is bouncing off the chrome trim. The mosaics are recessed by a couple of mm, but the trim hides the sides of the large tile.

Good luck.

I

Italy

Stack'em Dave M - listen to the pros! We see the trends and can confirm half bond is going out of fashion.
If the Mrs is insistent then you could compromise and put them on the 3/4 bond. This will also reduce the problems caused by the bowed tiles somewhat.
ahahha you are great.!!! ;)

D

DaveM

View attachment 83094 To get over the difference in thickness of the tiles and the mosaics you can introduce a bit of bling to your bathroom. In the above picture I have tiled a shower with a large tile, then a 10mm chrome trim, then the mosaics, then a 10mm chrome trim and then a large tile. The picture may be a little fuzzy as camera flash is bouncing off the chrome trim. The mosaics are recessed by a couple of mm, but the trim hides the sides of the large tile.

Good luck.

Yes, that makes sense, looks great too, I'll run that idea past her too, thanks for the info :)

H

hmtiling

If you go the trim route put it behind the big tiles not the mosaics as it can kick the edges out slightly

F

Flintstone

The only problem I have is that the Mrs really wants the brick pattern, but she understands that she will have to wait to get new tiles to have it. I could live with them stacked.

As for cheap, not the cheapest, but around 20 a sq/m. Wickes replica they are called. There were a couple of reviews stating that they had bowed tiles, but I wrongly assumed it was just a bad batch.

@Localtiler I saw a vid on youtube where a tiler applied the adhesive to some stuff that he called membrane, then pressed the mosaic onto that, and then left it to harden and then cut the mosaic into strips and stuck them on the wall. is that what you mean? Thanks for the info!

Beava mosaic mesh it's called

D

DaveM

Stacked looks way better and much more modern, the amount of people I talk aut of brick bond and they love it. Just gotta ditch the horizontal boarder now ;-)

What's wrong with the horizontal border? Don't tell me they are last year as well, haha? :) We were also looking at just a vertical block of mosaic up the shower/bath area, but as the tiles are quite beige/ivory, the border was just to give it a bit of something interesting. I kind of liked the look of the border running behind the basin tap. Open to ideas though if it's out of date! Thanks for the info so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

It's not last year Dave, it's straight outa the 90s!
I've not fitted a horizontal boarder for a very long time, if any mosaic is involved it's usually a band going up to the ceiling as you mentioned, I'm sure others will tell you the same. Have a look around at some photos. It all comes down to what your missus likes tho really.

Reply to Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks