Discuss Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DaveM

I'm going to be tiling this week in my bathroom, it's been bashed off back to the brick and plasterboarded and tanked and the walls are pretty much square and plumb, but there's a small amount of concaveness to one of the walls, it's only a few mm, but someone mentioned to me that I may struggle with large format tiles (250x500), so did a bit of reading and people seem to recommend a 10mm notch trowel for this? I've also got some mosaic tiles to make a border round the room, but again, I did some reading and it seems that I need a much smaller notch trowel for these? How would I get around the difference in height? The mosaics are 6mm and the tiles are 7mm.

Thanks for any help :)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would just straighten the wall out with some rapid set before tiling. When you do the tiling fix all the large format field tiles and what I do is cut chocks of wood to width of mosaic border and this allows you to continue tiling above the border. Here's a pic of the last one I did so you get the idea:

20150713_183540.jpg

20150717_163214.jpg

Once all the field tiles are done you can get cracking with your mosaics. I tend to use the dog tooth method to bed the mosaics flush with field tiles. In cases like the above you can cut your own 'comb' out of an old credit card, window packer or even an off cut of tile.

So something like this:

20160717_172528.jpg

So if your mosaics are 7mm thick then cut your comb at about 5mm. Now you can just trowel in your adhesive into the blank border, comb it and this will leave you a perfectly flat bed of adhesive at the correct depth to 'pad' in your mosaics flush with the field tile. If loads of adhesive is oozing through the mosaic mesh then your comb is too short if there's not enough adhesive then the comb is too long. A couple of mm short of mosaic tile thickness tends to be just right.

D

DaveM

Thanks mate, much appreciated, some great info there, the little wooden blocks thing is perfect!

Do you think I should dump the 10mm notch trowel for a smaller one then? 6mm?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
6mm is likely to be too small for that size tile - remember you're after 100% coverage in wet areas.

I

Italy

[Quote = "Davem, posta: 821.746, membro: 46760"] Grazie compagno, molto apprezzato, qualche grande informazioni là, la piccola blocchi di legno cosa è perfetta!

Pensi che dovrei scaricare la cazzuola tacca 10 mm per una più piccola, allora? 6 millimetri? [/ Quote]
;)

D

DaveM

6mm is likely to be too small for that size tile - remember you're after 100% coverage in wet areas.

OK, got it now, thanks again!

[Quote = "Davem, posta: 821.746, membro: 46760"] Grazie compagno, molto apprezzato, qualche grande informazioni là, la piccola blocchi di legno cosa è perfetta!

Pensi che dovrei scaricare la cazzuola tacca 10 mm per una più piccola, allora? 6 millimetri? [/ Quote]
;)

grazie mate!

D

DaveM

I have another question, my tiles arrived today, 250x300, ceramic 7mm thick, but I've opened 3 boxes and so far all of them are not flat, they seem to have a slight bend at one end by about 2-3mm making them kind of concave. Is this going to cause me problems, or is this pretty normal?

Thanks again :)

W

WetSaw

A bit of both! It's not unusual and can cause you problems depending on your layout. Brick bond will show up any irregularities so is best avoided if the tiles aren't flat.

D

DaveM

I was going to do the brick pattern, yes. OK thanks for the info, I'll get them sent back.

D

DaveM

Thanks, I've just done that and if you push down on one side, the other side lifts up by a few mm. Would a tile leveling kit help with this?

S

Stef

It's not a very big tile to try & pull with clips. Sit the tiles face to face & you will see how much they are out.
There's a lot of tiles like that out there, stack them & it won't be as noticeable.

D

DaveM

Thanks.

OK, so if I put 2 tiles face to face and grip at one end and hold up to the light, there's a 3-4mm gap. But, if I gently push the gap together while holding the other end together, the gap closes, they seem quite flexible. Does that mean I could fix the bend with the levelers?

W

WetSaw

The idea of the levelling systems is to get the edges of the tiles perfectly flat, not to try to bend them into shape. As Stef says, changing from brick bond ( which is sooo last year darling..) to stacked will reduce the problem considerably.

Reply to Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks