Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you were applying too much pressure when scoring to me.

You can score with a glass cutting wheel if you nip a DIY shed or something. Then snap with the clinker.

D

DaveM

Thanks!

Possibly, but it didn't feel like I was, but then again, I've not done this before :)

After much fannying around, it seems that the tiles are the issue. None of them are square, all of them are bent/bowed/convex. This explains why it scores ok in places and too deep in others? I've just been testing on some of the ruined tiles and if you line up the flat edge of the tile and score down the tile long ways, the line veers off so you end up with a sloping cut. I'm going to get onto Wickes and see if they'll send me out some replacements.

W

WetSaw

Possibly being a bit heavy handed with the levelling kit as well. They're designed to hold the tiles in place more than pulling them flat and, as you've already said, your tiles aren't that flat I think you're probably trying to force things beyond their design capabilities.

D

DaveM

Definitely wasn't heavy handed with the leveling kit, in fact, it was only a gentle pull and the handle just snapped. The first few tiles went on well and didn't need much leveling anyway, I just put the clips in in case they did, literaly just nipped them gently so they were firm, on the 6th one, it the handles gave way. They are just lightweight plastic. I'm a computer engineer by trade, so I'm used to handling pliers of all sizes and types and not being heavy handed with them, these were just rubbish!

The replacement wheels arrived and I have fitted one and it all works again. I've looked at the old one but it looks identical to the new one, but the new one cuts nicely and the old one doesn't! I'm being very gentle with this one :)

Also found that some of the tiles are very convex and it is these that won't break. Wickes say they'll replace the lot or some or whatever we decide.

D

DaveM

Going OK so far, thanks for all the help!

Just got a few things I want to check before going any further.

When doing the pieces above the window, not the return, the pieces on the actual wall above the window. What is the best way to hold these in place while the adhesive sets? The adhesive I'm using seems pretty good, but the weight of the tiles gradually drags them down. I used gaffer tape on the top left corner of the window, but the next peices have nothing firm for the tape to grab onto.

The other thing that I had a feeling wouldn't go well is the bath side panel. The bath is quite a deep one and even with a low profile trap touching the floor, there's a large gap at the bottom of the panel. First thought would have been to cut the floorboards and put the trap under the floor and recut the waste pipe hole and then lower the bath, but there's a joist in the way, so that's a non starter. I've been looking around for a kit or something to maybe make my own. Can anyone recommend anything that I can then tile onto?

I also have a few, maybe 10 mosaic pieces that are loose. I have pulled a few of them out and was just going to stick them back on when I make the next batch of adhesive. Is that the way forward or do I need to use something else to stick them on?

Thanks again :)

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
@DaveM Have just scanned this thread and have a question. Are you putting a shower screen up? If so do you have the room between the bath edge and the window? Just a thought, sorry if it's been talked about already.
All the best.

D

DaveM

@DaveM Have just scanned this thread and have a question. Are you putting a shower screen up? If so do you have the room between the bath edge and the window? Just a thought, sorry if it's been talked about already.
All the best.

Thanks! @Lakey

Yes we are, the edge of the bath is 4-5cm from the edge of the window. The basin is quite close to the bath, it's a very small bathroom, so we are going to need one of those that hinges in the middle to avoid the basin, I think.

Reply to Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks