Search the forum,

Discuss AARGH!! How Low do I have to bring my Quotes down to.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Davesax

I have been getting less than 50 percent of jobs quoted on .

I try and base my qute on what i would like for a day / how long it will take me then see if the rate per m2 looks reasonable . I Startted off 150 , brought it down to 140 , then recently did a job that worked out at just over 1 hundred . I'm happy to be working and would rather be earning that than doing jack .

Jobs that I think i can cover in a day are a bit more and sometimes will include materials and often I would have bought the customers number from rated people so try to cover that as well .

Went to price a job last week , 5 metres from bath to ceiling of 450 x 250 trav . Drill hole for shower pipe . materials supplied apart from silicone no prep needed , aqua boards installed . ( 25 min travelling )

What would you charge for this ?

M

mikethetile

tell me about it Dave, your lucky to be winning 50% at the moment especcially competing on the job auction sites. its ridiculous

I take it your charging 140 a day not 140 per m2. by the time you have sharpened your pencil and got your overhead down to a minimum your still struggling to make a living wage at that rate. theres comes a point where the competition is putting quotes in that are too low to do the job properly, one job I priced recently. I went in rock bottom and priced with a very sharp pencil. I explained the scope of the job and followed that up in writing with a full run down of exactly what they were paying for, my quote was just shy of £500 inc materials , the competition was £150 and £165. if one of them had priced correctly then the cheap quote would have been rejected but as it is I got the email telling me I was overcharging. if they had asked me to drop 50 sobs as I was too dear then fair enough but I cant drop below what it will cost me to do the job. she wanted me to do the job as I had impressed her but when my quote went in she called me a rogue trader LOL

in answer to your question I would have been around the £200 mark

D

Davesax

Yes 140 a day . I'm lucky enough to have another part time job as a musician/teacher and a wife thats a nurse . i'm leaving the country for Aus in 4 weeks - it's very frustrating here being undercut constantly . I feel like the same bloke is following me around beating my quotes lol!

As i wanted the job I said 150 - I explained this was my day rate and it would take a day ( this is not including petrol for the quote , for the job and the 10 pounds it cost to get her phone number! , I really expected to get the job . She text me saying someone was doing it for 120 , and as she was broke she was taking it .

It's not the only one either . If someone can sustain a business , support a family and can be arsed to work for that a day , you can keep it.

Reply to AARGH!! How Low do I have to bring my Quotes down to.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen