Discuss 1st tiling project - basic questions & advice please... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Hope you are well.

I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of tiling in my kitchen, mainly having 6 rows of white metro tiles, which will go around the wall behind the sink, behind the hob and then to the left of the hob.

I have a few questions, I imagine they are VERY basic in relation to the skills everyone has on here but I'd love some pointers please.

I have attached a photo of the 3 walls I want to tile. Which wall should I start off with please? Do I need to place a wooden baton to help support the tiles and also ensure a straight line? If so, where do I attach the baton and how do I identify how high I should position the baton to ensure the rows are correct in terms of spacing from the bottom?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• PANO_20240216_145634.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 19

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Start with a full or half tile to each side of your hob splash back and work away into the corners
it depends how your cuts go to your sockets which you start with.
the window wall depends on how it works out to the window. work it out to minimise silly
small cuts.same with the opposite wall. no batten needed just start straight off your upstand
with a full tile to underside of wall units prob 4/5 tiles high, and however high you want to go to each side of your
hob s/back

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
Would one not start tiling off the upstand ? assuming is staying on and is level
Not sure why you want to put a baton , would tile that either off the worktops they should be level or the upstand, working upwards from the bottom ?
Obviously need to plan where things will land , planning where cuts will land around sockets , may need to adjust slightly to get things looking right , center of the run being the ideal place to plan from , dont want to be a slither out around the sockets.
Windows should start in the centre so have equal pieces either side ?
Id also scratch that wall up a bit as your tiling to paint otherwise
Standard high off the worktops , not the boiler cab but the standard next to it will be around 450mm , your upstand 100?
if using subways at 100mm , kind of works with the upstand, might be able to start with full tile off the upstand and still land as standard at 4 tiles high at 500mm , usually leaving half tile cut to underside of cabs
6 tiles high is ok , but guessing that means 5 tiles high off the upstand
The long back wall with hob , plan from center of hob need equal cuts either side of splashback will look bad otherwise , can start with half tile or full from either side of splashback , but need to plan if that works , sometimes it might not

Last edited:

Reply to 1st tiling project - basic questions & advice please... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks