Search the forum,

Discuss Which Sealant? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

gooty

Finally got the beige porcelain tiles clean from black grout.

Apparently I should have used a sealer/impregnator on them before grouting and to help clean them more easily in the future????

If so, what make would you recommend?

Thanks

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
That must have been a nightmare. Generally 2 washes removes all residue.

Impregnator sealer is the one to go for, you can pick it up from most tile shops. If your sealing a tile. Always best to seal before grouting. Just Beware if there is any residue left on the tile and you seal it, you will also be sealing the residue into the tile.

O

One Day

Is it like a varnish?
No. Impregnators work by filling the microscopic pores which permeate the surface of polished porcelain. Solvent based normally and very smelly but without filling those pores, you will fill them with grout residue - as you've noticed already!

O

One Day

The grout situation is sorted now. It's just future cleaning that's worrying me.
Sealing will protect against dirt staining too. Higher quality polished porcelain doesn't always need it. The one here definitely does.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
From most manufactures there will be a specific porcelain impregnator, water based or solvent. saturate as instructed and as above remove all excess, I buff mine fully dry with a white towel after this time .
Leave to fully cure , this can take 12-24 hours generally then grout. I would always recomend to impregnate a spare tile or of cut and the same time as the floor , you can then grout across this before you do the floor and ensure that you will get full grout release, if not on the test ,you can adjust the way you will approach the floor area.

Reply to Which Sealant? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello! We have quarry tiles which we used iron wax satin on. I did one coat. We then had some...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for advice laying these floor tiles. My bathroom is chipboard. I’m going to get...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen