Discuss Shower 'stone' getting discoloration ('wet') stains in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi base but the affected material (pictures attached) was not changed. The stone appears to be soaked or wet with water. I have a few theories about what could be going on here but could use input from those who are more familiar with tile:

• All grout in the shower was sealed. I've heard of sealers 're-activating' prior sealant solutions. Since I was intending to seal the grout, I wonder if the stone sealant could have been removed as I wiped the surface down around the grout lines.
  • The 'baseboard' was previously just grouted on top. Since the grout fell apart soon after moving in, I grouted behind the big tile piece and siliconed over the top to prevent water from getting into the gap behind that large piece of stone. Perhaps moisture from the bottom grout is getting trapped behind the stone if the silicone is sealing up the top.
  • Poor grouting in the corners. This seems unlikely since the prior grout was in shambles and likely allowing water to get under that stone.

The stone has scratches in it so I suspect it's marble. Any insight and guidance would be much appreciate, thanks all!

Attachments

• 1000004373.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000004375.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000004376.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 20

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally you tank/waterproof the walls before tiling. The tiles are then just for the looks.

Sealing them will work but can fail over time with using bathroom cleaners on them.

Marble and stone change colour when wet but they dry out fairly quick too. I don't mind stone changing colour as long as it had time dry out. It's stone its what it does.

6mm silicone bead only around the corners or where tile meets any other material type as expansion and retraction can occur.

Go down the sealer and silicone route now though. But might need strip and reseal every couple of years maybe?

I think @Kastar UK mught be able to help soon but it would involve international shipping but I think its basically the fix for exactly this? (Grout wise) impervious stuff @Kastar UK ?

Reply to Shower 'stone' getting discoloration ('wet') stains in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks