Discuss Quarry tile sealant advice - made a mess in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ebbrom

-
Reaction score
Hello!

We have quarry tiles which we used iron wax satin on. I did one coat. We then had some plaster come down when the builders fitted some spotlights and we couldn’t get it clean after three mops. I therefore tried the HG grout remover I had again which we used before the wax. This has left it worse - I think but I’m not sure I’ve half removed the wax. Please help! I imagine I now need to completely remove the wax and start again?

Please help and let me know what products would be best to use in these circumstances.

Thanks
Emily

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0453.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0454.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
morning!... looking at ya pics...and my limeted knowledge of
LTP products.. i would if poss ... LITHOFIN - Cement away... its a light acid product that will remove the wax and clean ya grout back to its original colour...so thats back to unsealed and ready to absorb stuffs.... then LITHOFIN - STAIN STOP......its a penetrative sealer as opposed to topical...like wax... so it impregnates the tiles..but its invisible as in no SHEEN!!!. wax or water based product need reapplication IMO!
*please note ..i have been out of the game for a while so thier may be more suitable products to seal....but strip...u need acid!! have a nice day!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Emily, does the 'staining' disappear when the tiles are all wet?

It could be efflorescence, salts from the adhesives surfacing from beneath them. If my understanding of it is right.

In which case search the forum for efflorescence there are loads of threads on it.

It may keep coming back. If it disappears when wet, that would suggest a glossy sealer that leaves a nice shine might hide the patching.

The lithofin stain stop mentioned above is also a good method.

Which ever route you go down always test it on a tile that's near the edge etc in case it isn't suitable.

Reply to Quarry tile sealant advice - made a mess in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks