Search the forum,

Discuss Which cutter for 9mm riven porcelain 300x600 tiles in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andysblacksoul

So, I have 35m2 of bathroom to tile in 300x600x9mm porcelain. They're rough textured riven effect.

Recommendations on cutters please wet or dry. Will probably buy and resell later as I've another bathroom and a kitchen to do at some point, so happy to get something decent.

Already have a decent grinder and stone cutting discs for the fiddly bits from laying 70m2 of slate outside...

R

Rookery

There's lots to choose from. I'd go for a Sigma 3B4M because it's a quality machine which will hold it's value should you want to sell t on. Alternatively, a Big Clinker is much cheaper but perfectly adequate.

Reaction score
There's lots to choose from. I'd go for a Sigma 3B4M because it's a quality machine which will hold it's value should you want to sell t on. Alternatively, a Big Clinker is much cheaper but perfectly adequate.
Big Clinker 2 Heavy Duty Tile Cutter 630mm - http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/big-clinker-2-heavy-duty-tile-cutter-630mm/29758

Reaction score
Whilst the sigma is certainly a better cutter, both may require more than one pass with the cutting wheel on riven tiles. But bear in mind you may not get it right until you practice on a couple of tiles first. Everyone here who does tiling for a living will tell you that experience comes from making mistakes and learning from them. We may look at the tile, assess what cut will give a clean cut first time, and just cut every tile perfectly from the start - but we all have done bad cuts in the past, and learnt from them.

You are cutting these for the first time, and there is a risk some of your cuts will go wrong, even if you use a sigma cutter. So order a few extra tiles. And it's always worth keeping a couple of spare floor tiles in case someone drops something heavy and damages one.

K

Kevbos

Most cutters will do! as long as you put a big scoring wheel on them .the smaller wheels get battered very quickly .grind or wet cut any cuts that go diagonally across rivens

A

Andysblacksoul

I've got more than 10% allowed for wastage, but will have 12 L-shapes to cut (2 window openings and a niche) plus diagonals for the shower tray former.

On that basis I'll probably go for the big clinker for the straight cuts (and practice on some spares) and a wet cutter for the L's and diagonals... So which wet cutters should I consider?

These are tiles by the way:
Indus Dark Grey Stone Effect Porcelain Wall & Floor Tile, Pack of 6, (L)600mm (W)300mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q - http://www.diy.com/departments/indus-dark-grey-stone-effect-porcelain-wall-floor-tile-pack-of-6-l600mm-w300mm/145664_BQ.prd

Reaction score
For electric cutter, I always advise anyone into DIY to use an angle grinder, then buy a Marcrist CK850 115mm tile cutting disc. That will eat porcelain, and your can use the angle grinder for cutting metal, stone, brick, concrete - and its very easy to cut straight to a marked line. If you really want a good wet cutter, choose a Vitrex QEP Pro 750 - this little gem is very easy to use, has a good water recycling system, and uses the more useful 180mm cutting discs. Again I would advise buying a 180mm Marcrist CK850 disc to get the best from the cutter.

K

Kevbos

If your not on a construction site with health and safety .use a grinder and a damp sponge to cool wheel down .shhhhh I didn't say that

Reply to Which cutter for 9mm riven porcelain 300x600 tiles in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen