Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

White Room

Has the plaster been contaminated with something, did any of the primer seperate when applied to the walls.

Did you upset the plasterers by any chance ??

S

stevep1

we started with 1-4. only went to neat as a test when nothing else worked. and on the advice of palace tech. some people say dont make a barrier between tiles and wall and others say you have to because of the plaster and addy reacting. never had it before pray i dont again.

S

stevep1

dont think it seperated. they seemed like decent chaps (for plasterers). i know the house owner went through a spell of sacking plasterers. i dont suspect sabotage though.

D

DHTiling

The reaction is ettringnite and it can take 2 coats etc to fully protect and as i said before if you apply neat it can skin.

I am finding it difficult to give a reason now steve as all that i use works for me ..

Your failures haves lost me.. lets see if another set of pro eyes can recommend something..

W

White Room

The plaster can be very absorbant so thats a good reason to prime alone other than enttringnite

S

stevep1

i've lost myself. everything i've ever done before this job has worked for me too. thanks for your time and suggestions its really appreciated

S

stevep1

gypsum. thats why we went with palace tilers primer. it says on their web site to use it neat when sticking to gypsum with a cement based addy. since then i have tried everything

W

White Room

No, what I meant steve was a browning, hardwall, bonding or sand cement backing used on the block walls before the plaster finish was applied

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Steve.. my apologies.. i am kind of slurped.. i will ,if not resolved tomorrow have another sober look..

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

S

stevep1

a 3 mm skim coat of gypsum finish over plaster board. i explained the weight issue but was told to go ahead. that wouldnt explain the tests ive done with 300mm cuts from the ceramic tiles that wouldnt stick when stood up against the wall

A

Aston

steve
how long did you leave the 4 and 1 coat of sbr? before applying the 2nd coat
just answer that for me please

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks