Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Two separate shower traps? in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Cranbrook

Cranbrook TilersForums.co.uk Addict

Currently doing a few bathrooms in a high end new build, and the water pressure and flow rate are both very high, and the customer is adamant he wants the showers as powerful as can be... my concern is that if I screed in only a single waste, its not going to cope, ive seen a few companies do double or triple traps on one waste, but has anyone ever put two separate wastes in one wet room?

2. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I’ve installed Linear drains with two traps, I think it was an impey Dec.

3. Waluigi

Just to add, calculate the flow rate of your showers vs the flow rate of your traps. Some traps are better than others at letting water pass through them quickly

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cranbrook

Unfortunately the showers aren't in yet so it's a bit of educated guess work at present :weary:

5. pdc

pdc Professional Tiler

Waste flow is ultimately limited by pipe size. If that is already in place then you can only fit the highest flow trap that you can find.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Waluigi

Just had a quick look at some wastes- ranges between 40 to 60 litres per minute on the couple I looked at.

60 litres.........That’s a lot of water.

7. Cranbrook

I can add an extra waste pipe in atm

8. Waluigi

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  9. pdc

pdc Professional Tiler

All depends on whether you're using formers or trays and what your options for traps are. 50mm pipe will obviously have more flow than 40mm and if you can run 2 separate ones to the soil stack ( not 2 into 1 before the stack) even better.

10. Cranbrook

Yeah I can run two straight in to the stack and that's my current thought, I'm going to screed the trap/traps in

11. Ajax123

Ajax123 Tilers Forums Pro - Screed Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

The traps ability to get rid if waste is not just down to pipe size. It also depends on the trap entry not becoming air locked. I found this when I installed my own shower. I put a standard floor waste in with a 50mm pipe outlet yo a shallow p trap. It kept bunging up because the shower out water ok top faster than the it could get into the trap entry thus air locking and overflowing. I ended up changing the trap to one called a fast glow trap which as the water enters the trap it creates like a vortex stopping any air lock. Now works a treat.my shower is rated at 40litres a minute when on the pump...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

As Alan says above, a fast flowing trap is all that is required. Are you running a combination boiler or conventional tank & cylinder?

13. Waluigi

..........or Unvented......or Thermal Store.

14. Cranbrook

Its an unvented system (two boilers in a low loss header system. I don't think a fast flowing trap will be sufficient given the flow rate, so I think I'm gonna screed in two separate drains and run separate 40mm waste