Search the forum,

Discuss Trowel Size vs Adhesive thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gontarek

I am trying to figure out how much adhesive I going to need for my floor. I though this was simple (and maybe it is), but I am wondering how you work this our for a given trowel size

If I use a 12mm notched trowel, I am presuming this is not 12mm of adhesive thickness as I am presuming the ridges spread (which I guess is the whole point) - so given a 12mm notched trowel, what is the actual depth of adhesive used (is it 6mm for example ?) ? And is this the figure I should be using when calculating coverage when a manufacturer (e.g. Mapei) indicates a figure of kg/m2/mm for their adhesive ?

Also is there any significant difference in that figure between a square or a rounded notch (I would guess the rounded uses slightly less adhesive, therefore a thinner overall layer)

I 'm laying opus pattern which has a majority of 600x400 & 400x400 tiles, so from everything I've read it is the 12mm trowel I really need.

I tell you what though - the last few weeks have been an education or what ! Here I thought I would 'simply' just lay some tiles across our new extension and kitchen and this forum would answer a few questions I had. I just didn't realise how involved it all is! I've now learned about substrates, floor strengthening, decoupling membranes, expansion joints, different grout and adhesive types, tile sealing and now trowel sizes ! I can see why one would think of hiring a pro for this - shame I can't afford one :smilewinkgrin: BUt having said that this forum and the people on it have been a godsend - thanks folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

well how long is a piece of string lol i lay large format tiles and use PTB if I get 2 sq mts a 20kg bag on a good floor i am well pleased but you should get better on SPf or would suggest you using slow set will give you more time only if you are going onto screed i think you will be best to start it after using a few bags you should be able to get some idea :pete

Reply to Trowel Size vs Adhesive thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Manufacturer specified 3mm bed for these large format (2.4x1.2m) tiles, and that's what the...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
I have a laminate flooring that is 12 mm to a down stairs toilet having to put new tiles down...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen