Search the forum,

Discuss Trowel Size vs Adhesive thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gontarek

I am trying to figure out how much adhesive I going to need for my floor. I though this was simple (and maybe it is), but I am wondering how you work this our for a given trowel size

If I use a 12mm notched trowel, I am presuming this is not 12mm of adhesive thickness as I am presuming the ridges spread (which I guess is the whole point) - so given a 12mm notched trowel, what is the actual depth of adhesive used (is it 6mm for example ?) ? And is this the figure I should be using when calculating coverage when a manufacturer (e.g. Mapei) indicates a figure of kg/m2/mm for their adhesive ?

Also is there any significant difference in that figure between a square or a rounded notch (I would guess the rounded uses slightly less adhesive, therefore a thinner overall layer)

I 'm laying opus pattern which has a majority of 600x400 & 400x400 tiles, so from everything I've read it is the 12mm trowel I really need.

I tell you what though - the last few weeks have been an education or what ! Here I thought I would 'simply' just lay some tiles across our new extension and kitchen and this forum would answer a few questions I had. I just didn't realise how involved it all is! I've now learned about substrates, floor strengthening, decoupling membranes, expansion joints, different grout and adhesive types, tile sealing and now trowel sizes ! I can see why one would think of hiring a pro for this - shame I can't afford one :smilewinkgrin: BUt having said that this forum and the people on it have been a godsend - thanks folks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Trowel Size vs Adhesive thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hello I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of the slope from all sides) will be done with mosaic tiles (5x5 cm). After researching I came to the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.