Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling to gypsum based substrates/backgrounds. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
valid points being made [MENTION=43777]DavidHoweTiling[/MENTION]

I dont know a fixer that comes in here that uses Anhyfix on walls......

and i agree about the forum......i just wished everyone of the tilers that come in here would read some of the posts......

everyday is a school day.

I

Ian

If anhyfix came in a slow set, I probably would use it on skimmed walls, however, it wouldn't be much use in wet areas so if I were doing a shower room I'd need 2 different adhesive types for the walls, and that's just a pain!

J

Just Rizzle

on my post on the other thread I ment to say gypsum based substrate floors so dave I never ment to bring in walls as theres no problem with them. as you all should know there is a very vast difference between floor based gypsum and walls that's why so many people are having failures on the floor not using appropriate adhesives and techniques and they need to know how to prevent this happening in the future. and the best way to do that is by using like for like on the floors

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've heard of floors failing with gypsum based adhesives because the prep work hasn't been done right and that's what it always boils down to. If you know how to prep the floor correctly then you should never have a problem

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You have to have a little chuckle at widler ...lol lol..

My point isn't about what should and shouldn't be used , it's if you tile to any gypsum based background , should you be using fypsum adhesive or is it one for floors and anything for walls lol..

Ray ! .. You still haven't answered my question ?

thanks for chipping in Alan , I and many many others know your views and yes we know all about switching to gypsum adhesives for anhydrite screeds , I'm asking , should they be using it on skimmed walls as well , after all in the words of another member , if you use cement based adhesives on gypsum backgrounds , you are ALWAYS got to get a reaction.

That's what I come on for dave, a chuckle , you gotta laugh mate [emoji23][emoji23]

J

Just Rizzle

i have always used cement based but so far all screeds have been heated , I have one to do very soon and its unheated
, so I'm going to use Anhyfix as it allows that extra % of moisture in the screed , just incase lol...

walls ? , well as usual I use cement based..

you've never used anhyfix dave that supprises me. you will be in for an education .

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
you've never used anhyfix dave that supprises me. you will be in for an education .

All the the floors I have done Ray are for the same builder and he refuses to change from a method we have used and works before these gypsum adhesives came about .

the floor I am using Anhyfix on is one of my own , hence giving it a go.

So did you never use cement based on an anhydrite then Ray ? , you still haven't said. :)

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
No need usually for gypsum adhesives on skimmed walls as long as they are primed. There's not enough moisture borne sulphate ions to promote an adverse ettringite reaction. It's all about balances and checks and molarity etc. in short you are unlikely to get much ettringite on a skimmed wall.

That was my next point when someone said they had used it on walls as it isn't suitable for wet areas , bahhhh you've spoilt it now :lol:

R

Rookery

I'm curious as to why if anhydrite screeds are the bees knees and gypsum/anhydrite-based adhesives are the way forward, why don't BAL or Mapei make one?

J

Just Rizzle

dave how can you comment on these adhesives when as you say you've never used them??

and im well aware of what can be used in wet areas about 4yrs ago did 45 wet rooms for a builder on a site in Richmond

and no I use tilemaster products on walls as theres a vast difference between gypsum walls and anhydrite(calsium sulphate) floors as ajax123 asjust stated

Reply to Tiling to gypsum based substrates/backgrounds. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen