Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling to gypsum based substrates/backgrounds. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always thought folk on here,dave especially , were into using the right materials for the right job ???
I could be wrong but i don't think skim plaster is the same chemical compound as anhyldrite screeds ??
Again i could be wrong , but why now bring out a 'gypsum' addy for gypsum screeds when we have been tiling gypsum walls, which according to some is exactly the same stuff as anhydrite ?
Im just throwing that into the mix as well [emoji15]

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The weber products I use give instructions for tiling over anhydrite screeds which IMO mean they are suitable. If they weren't suitable they would say Not for use on anhydrite or words to that effect.

S

Stef

The weber products I use give instructions for tiling over anhydrite screeds which IMO mean they are suitable. If they weren't suitable they would say Not for use on anhydrite or words to that effect.

Yeah Pete, it states on the back of all weber powder addy.

S

Stef

I always thought folk on here,dave especially , were into using the right materials for the right job ???
I could be wrong but i don't think skim plaster is the same chemical compound as anhyldrite screeds ??
Again i could be wrong , but why now bring out a 'gypsum' addy for gypsum screeds when we have been tiling gypsum walls, which according to some is exactly the same stuff as anhydrite ?
Im just throwing that into the mix as well [emoji15]

Think we need Alan to jump into this thread. [emoji6]

Reaction score
Looks like there's two ways of tiling over anhydrite screeds then,simple as that.

The big adhesive companies have there own science labs, and if they say you can prime first, then use a cement based adhesive on bases such as plaster and anhydrite (which both contain gypsum), then that's all I need to go on. where else are we to get our information? I choose to go with what's been scientifically proven to be able to recommend the correct products for given jobs.

J

Just Rizzle

anhydrite floors are here to stay and becoming more and more used . its vastly different to wall based gypsum as we all should know. theres never been any problems with skim plaster but the impurities in the floor products is what reacts with cement based adhesives and virtually no reaction to anhydrite based products. why risk it?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Think we need Alan to jump into this thread. [emoji6]

Nope... I'm enjoying reading it too much. My opinions are well known but when all is said and done Dave is right if you do it all by the book you can use cement addy. The gypsum addys remove the uncertainty and cater for the less perfect. Yes I know all tilers are great and do everything by the book...I have met many who have said so and yet the floors have failed. For my money why take the risk. Sand it, heat it, cool it, test it, prime it, and tile it but use gypsum based adhesive not cement.."...

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
You have to have a little chuckle at widler ...lol lol..

My point isn't about what should and shouldn't be used , it's if you tile to any gypsum based background , should you be using fypsum adhesive or is it one for floors and anything for walls lol..

Ray ! .. You still haven't answered my question ?

thanks for chipping in Alan , I and many many others know your views and yes we know all about switching to gypsum adhesives for anhydrite screeds , I'm asking , should they be using it on skimmed walls as well , after all in the words of another member , if you use cement based adhesives on gypsum backgrounds , you are ALWAYS got to get a reaction.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No need usually for gypsum adhesives on skimmed walls as long as they are primed. There's not enough moisture borne sulphate ions to promote an adverse ettringite reaction. It's all about balances and checks and molarity etc. in short you are unlikely to get much ettringite on a skimmed wall.

Reply to Tiling to gypsum based substrates/backgrounds. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen