Search the forum,

Discuss tiling external steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonty

I'm about to tile an external step the surface of the step will take one and a half tiles, can you tell me does the cut tile go nearest the wall or at the edge? Also do i need to seal the tiles before grouting? thanks

D

DHTiling

I would put the cut to the back jonty.....and what tile is it..regarding sealing...

G

grumpygrouter

Heres one I did earlier.....as they say.

Grumpy

Attachments

• 2007_1126McCulloch0007.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 139
D

DEN

Those are quite thin slivers at the bottom of the steps there grumpy,must of been a right pain that,obviously whoever did the steps overdid the bottom step lol..

G

grumpygrouter

You're right Den they were a pain, especially as my little Briccolina and standard blade really had trouble cutting the quarries. There were slivers all down the side as well. Steps were put in by the conservatory builders. They weren't flat or level either and the risers were different heights!

Looks quite nice now they are finished but I was struggling with really cold weather at the time as well. Kept having to pick my days to work.

Customer was pleased though.

Grumpy

D

DEN

Yes grumpy a good job i would have been happy with that,how much did you charge for that and how long did it take you altogether? you cant really tell of any discrepancies in the steps.

G

grumpygrouter

£262 all in. took about 2 1/2 days all told because of slow speed cutting tiles. Would have been much quicker had I had my Rubi DW 250N at the time but I didn't.

Used Ruabon red tiles and Ardex X7R addy plus Ardex-flex grout, just to pre-empt anyone wanting more info. LOL

Grumps

D

DEN

Am i right in assuming you used ardex because of the tiles being used outside,and heavy use walking in and out of the house?

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks Dave.

Grumps
----
Am i right in assuming you used ardex because of the tiles being used outside,and heavy use walking in and out of the house?
Not really. I used Ardex because I actually had the addy in my garage at the time. Funnily enough, Ruabon recommend the use of Ardex addy and grouts on their literature.

BAL rapidset or other stuff would have done the job just as well. I quite like the Ardex though.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tiling external steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen