Currently reading:
tiling external steps

Search the forum,

Discuss tiling external steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Heres one I did earlier.....as they say.

Grumpy

Attachments

• 2007_1126McCulloch0007.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 141
G

grumpygrouter

You're right Den they were a pain, especially as my little Briccolina and standard blade really had trouble cutting the quarries. There were slivers all down the side as well. Steps were put in by the conservatory builders. They weren't flat or level either and the risers were different heights!

Looks quite nice now they are finished but I was struggling with really cold weather at the time as well. Kept having to pick my days to work.

Customer was pleased though.

Grumpy

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks Dave.

Grumps
----
Am i right in assuming you used ardex because of the tiles being used outside,and heavy use walking in and out of the house?
Not really. I used Ardex because I actually had the addy in my garage at the time. Funnily enough, Ruabon recommend the use of Ardex addy and grouts on their literature.

BAL rapidset or other stuff would have done the job just as well. I quite like the Ardex though.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jonty

thanks for the replies, Grumpy i hope my steps look as good as yours when i'm finished i'm going for Ruabon tiles too collecting tomorrow but could you help me out with a few questions.

Do i need to allow for an expansion joint on the top step row of tiles or do i need to put an expansion joint in every step? how many mm do you leave? can i put any silicone sealant in the expansion joint or does it need to be external? and what size of spacers did you use?

With these tiles i think i need a sealer is it correct to say i put the sealer on before grouting? thanks

G

grumpygrouter

Thats the first time I have seent that pic Russ, is that the one where I scribbled a mad plan for you to follow ? worked a treat nice job mate....Gaz
Thats the one Gaz. Glad you like it.

Jonty, assuming that your steps are concrete and it is a small area the expansion on the steps would not be that great to require a movement joint. I didn't have one. Just make sure you use a flexy adhesive and grout.

Ruabon tiles do not require sealing. If you register on the ruabon website , there are a number of useful helpsheets available. It states very clearly that they should not require sealing.

I used 5 mil. spacers but in all honesty the Ruabon tiles are not that consistant in size so use that as a guide only and adjust using eyeball as necessary - Ruabon suggest a minimum of 6mm.

Grumpy

Reply to tiling external steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.