Discuss Tiling behind and under a log burning stove in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been asked to tile under and behind a log burning stove...

I am happy with the hearth, it is a concrete plinth that I can tile directly onto but the problem for me is the back panel behind the stove.

The board that is there at the moment is very flexible which I have told them cannot be tiled onto...

Would you remove the panel and replace it? - With what???
Can you screw another fireproof/heatproof panel onto the current panel and then tile onto that?

Cheers in advance
Stephen
2019-01-09 09.37.14.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Is that fireplace staying? What's that made of?
MDF!
Is there not a recess behind that board for the stove to go into?
What happens with the flue or isn’t there one?
Is it going to work or is it just for show?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What is the back panel made of?
Who has installed the stove?

Reaction score
Not entirely sure what the back panel is made of or who installed the stove.

My thinking at the moment it to remove the current flexible boarding and install 12mm Hardiebacker with a frame if necessary to provide a stable area to tile onto

W

WetSaw

Hardie is OK but I wouldn't be happy with that fireplace. Get something in writing stating that you are only responsible for the tiling, not fitting the stove.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There is no way that fire is installed correctly.

It looks like that has been cobbled into an old gas fire surround, the flues are not compatable
and rear flies should have a maximum of 6” of horizontal glue before a bend, that definatley looks longer from your photo.
Solid flued appliances must only be installed by a Hetas registered engineer and can be just as dangerous as gas appliances.

I would not touch it at all.

W

WetSaw

Solid flued appliances must only be installed by a Hetas registered engineer and can be just as dangerous as gas appliances.

It doesn't have to be installed by a HETAS registered person but does come under building control so would need signing off.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be installed by a HETAS registered person but does come under building control so would need signing off.

In some areas building control won’t sign installations off without a Hetas certificate.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
100% correct, but first hand experience of BC not signing off one I installed because I didn’t have a Hetas certificate because they were not sufficiently qualified to sign off themselves.
Daft I know.

Reply to Tiling behind and under a log burning stove in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks