Discuss Tile/Adhesive/Plaster Problem in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

BDW317

-
Reaction score
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off the wall around the shower/bath area (see picture 1 & 2). No matter how carefully I tried to remove each tile either the tile came away and left the adhesive behind, or it all came off with the plaster, often in big chunks. By the sink only a few small patches came off (see picture 3).
I live in a 1960's 3 bed semi with solid walls but I'm guessing the grey material underneath the plaster is the scratch coat rather than concrete? It's hard but does break up if I dig at it with a screwdriver.
If it's the scratch coat then again I presume I cannot tile directly onto it? Would using one coat plaster be ok to patch up around the sink? Could I also use this on the shower wall, or is too much plaster gone and I'd be better off taking it all off and either get it skimmed or put up some hardiebacker board? I can scrape the adhesive off ok, just concerned how stable the rest of the plaster is.
I'll be putting up 250x400x8mm ceramic tiles so well under the 20KG per m2 limit. We only have the one bathroom so I'd rather avoid having to wait weeks for plaster to dry before carrying on. Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 21

Reply to Tile/Adhesive/Plaster Problem in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks