Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling adhesive. Which is best? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jrterror

Hi.
Just a quick question.
Which is best for tiling, ready mixed adhesive or powder?
I have ensuite walls to tile and within is a shower enclosure I presume you can buy a water proof adhesive.
Also, should I be buying some thing to water proof the area below the shower. If so, any suggestions. Don't wanna spend a fortune.
Ta

D

Dumbo

It cost's what it coat's. Yes you should waterproof the wet area and if you do that you should be using a powdered adhesive .

J

Jrterror

Hi. I removed the existing tiles, then adhesive and finally any paint that the walls were 'primed' with.
How do I tank the area?
What do I use?
Is it the same the the floors?
Sorry, complete novice

Ta

G

GoneGuy

To tank around the shower area it would be easiest to buy a tanking kit such as Mapei shower kit from your local screwfix and use that.
Powder adhesive over tub adhesive every time.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Waterproof cement adhesives I think are very badly described - the non-trade/pro will assume it means that water will not pass through it rather than it has sufficient bonding strength when saturated. If my coat did the same I wouldnt be overly happy.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Jrterror. Walls and floors should be tanked, taped on joints etc. This may help you and then likely more questions.

I am a DIY person - I have fitted wet rooms (not for trade) succesfully but I was slow (eachtime), had to remedy problems (each time) and asked a lot of advice.

Reply to Tiling adhesive. Which is best? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen