Discuss Tiling adhesive. Which is best? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jrterror

Hi.
Just a quick question.
Which is best for tiling, ready mixed adhesive or powder?
I have ensuite walls to tile and within is a shower enclosure I presume you can buy a water proof adhesive.
Also, should I be buying some thing to water proof the area below the shower. If so, any suggestions. Don't wanna spend a fortune.
Ta

D

Dumbo

It cost's what it coat's. Yes you should waterproof the wet area and if you do that you should be using a powdered adhesive .

J

Jrterror

Hi. I removed the existing tiles, then adhesive and finally any paint that the walls were 'primed' with.
How do I tank the area?
What do I use?
Is it the same the the floors?
Sorry, complete novice

Ta

G

GoneGuy

To tank around the shower area it would be easiest to buy a tanking kit such as Mapei shower kit from your local screwfix and use that.
Powder adhesive over tub adhesive every time.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Waterproof cement adhesives I think are very badly described - the non-trade/pro will assume it means that water will not pass through it rather than it has sufficient bonding strength when saturated. If my coat did the same I wouldnt be overly happy.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Jrterror. Walls and floors should be tanked, taped on joints etc. This may help you and then likely more questions.

I am a DIY person - I have fitted wet rooms (not for trade) succesfully but I was slow (eachtime), had to remedy problems (each time) and asked a lot of advice.

Reaction score
Powdered adhesive every time, less water content than premix. Tank the area using a tanking kit - tile master do a really good one for about £60.00, includes primer, corner pieces, tape, paste. Do 2 coats with the paste, one vertical one horizontal, if I’m doing a walk in I do the floor as well, and place tape and corner pieces under the tray as well as above. Trade mate pro rapid is my preferred adhesive, dunno why, just seems to work with my tiling times in the bucket. Personally I avoid anything maipei, just think it’s inferior and stupidly expensive. We all have our little quirks. Oh if you do the floor under the shower tray, make sure you don’t just do that area (a larger area than tray is better).

J

Jrterror

Great advice everyone. Ta

Just a quick thought. When tiling, any adhesive that may squeeze out between the tiles, do you take it out back to the wall, or just inline the rear of the tile?
Sorry, may sound a daft question. Just wanna do everything right the first time.
Ta again

O

Old Mod

Just a quick thought.

Have you ever had one? :p

Just take it back enough to allow joint to accept grout and so that it doesn’t protrude through the grout.
Technically, transitions (wall to wall & wall to floor joints) should be adhesive free to allow movement in the substrate from impacting on the adjoining Tiling, but that doesn’t mean you need to be super anal about it.
All transitions should have a silicone joint and not grout, that way each substrate remains independent of each other.
Tubbed adhesive dries by the way of dispersion, basically the moisture in the adhesive evaporates, this will be hindered in a tanked area and if the tiles are too big.
Powdered adhesives dry due to a chemical reaction, so it will dry regardless.
This is one of the reasons why we use powdered adhesives.

Reply to Tiling adhesive. Which is best? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks