Discuss Tiles cracked base of walk in shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Octopus8

Hi, can anyone please offer a reason why the uptiles at the front of 2 ensuite walk in showers (below the shower screen) have cracked along the top corner edge? It's not just the grout that is cracked but the actual tiles themselves have cracked as well. The same thing has happened in 2 of the ensuites. The cracking suggests some movement (maybe shower tray not secured?).

Any help appreciated.

G

GoneGuy

Hi, can anyone please offer a reason why the uptiles at the front of 2 ensuite walk in showers (below the shower screen) have cracked along the top corner edge? It's not just the grout that is cracked but the actual tiles themselves have cracked as well. The same thing has happened in 2 of the ensuites. The cracking suggests some movement (maybe shower tray not secured?).

Any help appreciated.
Can you upload a picture of the problem

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I picture these as the tiles around the tray vertically, a tray on plastic feet and movement in the middle will put stress on the edge of the probably ceramic tile and crack it. Other ensuite exactly the same suggests new build?

O

Octopus8

Thanks for your replies. Image attached.

tiles.jpg

W

Waluigi

Is it a raised level access tiled tray?

I agree- Looks like the tiles have been mitred.

The whole lot has to come up to see what’s moved.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
New build, drying now so shrinking timer everywhere, delicate mitred edge on stone has had weight transferred to it and cracked.

O

Octopus8

Ok guys, the attached images should explain more about why the cracks have appeared maybe?

Also, client wants a bathroom fitter/tiler to go in the property and provide confirmation that movement is the cause of the tiles cracking (more likely poorly fitted walk in shower tray in that case?). Client will pay (but not silly quotes). Property is in London at Chelsea Waterfront (near Brompton Overground station). Anyone interested then please let me know.

abdul1.jpg abdul2.jpg abdul3.jpg

W

WetSaw

It looks like those photos are of the problem being repaired, if that is the case can't the person doing the repair tell what the cause of the original problem was? More importantly, what has been done to ensure it doesn't happen again?

W

Waluigi

Very difficult to say what’s gone wrong. When it comes to wet room formers things need to be perfect. It could be something as simple as the timber not being screwed to the floor or the timber having too high a moisture content when installed. It could be the XPS former not bonded properly to the adhesive, wrong adhesive used etc etc.

Some people (myself included) would only be interested in starting again. I don’t put my name to rooms that are patched up or half jobs. That’s not snobbery, it’s purely because you know how everything is done plus when you put your name to half a job, people judge you on the whole job.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry to ask but if you’re not the client or the guy repairing the job what is your relationship to it?

Reply to Tiles cracked base of walk in shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks