Discuss Sealing a newly tiled shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
This is a rather novice question I admit, but I would appreciate some advise.

My tiler has grouted the corner of the shower wall, and between the shower tray and the tiles. He also grouted into the ceiling.

Is this ok from a waterproofing point of view? I feel uneasy as I thought that grout was intentionally porous.

I guess this is a bathroom fitting question rather than a tiling question, but I’m interested in knowing what the industry standard is for shower installation.

Reaction score
Grout is porous so around the tray and corners should be siliconed the top of the ceiling isn’t really necessary but for a better finish should be siliconed too.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The more I read on this forum the more depressed I become.

I insisted on overboarding the ceiling due to the slither that I spoke about on a previous post. I have attached some pics. The white patch is a hole that I filled where a fan used to reside. If I had known that the repair method was going to be to tack a tile over the hole, I would have fixed the underlying breeze block properly.

Still, I am alarmed that a tile could be securely tacked onto the wall with a hole in the corner, and that most of the tiles have been laid over emulsion anyway.

I'm not sure if it OK to tile over a gap for the shower pipes (the top being visible in the pic).

I have learned overall that word of mouth is not always whats its cracked up to be.

p3.jpg
p11.jpg
p21.jpg

Reaction score
Your patched fan hole is now absolutely fine.
Yes you can tile over a pipe chase, but I don’t like to see it so close to the edge of the tile - better away from the edges. If it’s a solid wall it could be filled easily and that is what I would do.

Reaction score
there’s nothing to be worried about ideally where those pipes are showing should be bonded in. Tile adhesive is solid once it goes off just fill it with adhesive and let it go off then tile over it. As long as you’ve given everything a good prime with a decent primer your good to go.

Reaction score
tiling onto painted walls you should either scrap the paint off or give it a good score with a knife as tile adhesive doesn’t stick to paint.

Reply to Sealing a newly tiled shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks