Search the forum,

Discuss Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

united

Re: Hall of shame....

Tile on Tile.jpg

Just found this tile on tile photo on my phone, took it in a pub the other week then forgot all about it

R

Rob Z

This submission for the Hall of Shame has nothing to do with tile, and everything to do with the wood-butchers that masquerade as carpenters.:mad2: I've installed a lot of doors over the years, and sometimes I've had to use "non-standard" methods and fasteners to get the job done.

But how about using 4 1/2" drywall screws to install a hollow-core, 18" wide prehung door for a linen closet? A dozen or more of these screws to install the jambs and casing!!! :yikes: What the .... ????

After 20+ years working in the trades, I thought I had seen most if not all of the goofy things that get done on the remodel jobsite.

I was wrong. :lol:

Attachments

• 4.5 inch drywall screws in door jambs and casing.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 62
  • 4.5 inch drywall screw.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 62
R

Rob Z

Plumbers with their sawzalls are next on my list...GRRRRR!!!:incazzato::furious3:

(Not you Faithy!)

We just did the demo for a new bathroom project and found that the plumbers cut the engineered joist 12 years ago when they hooked up the tub. Someone attempted to deal with the problem by adding the plywood gussets on the side. :yikes:

The problem is that NOW I have to get a structural engineer in to evaluate this mess and write a detail for the repair and reinforcement of the joist. Engineered joists can't be modified in any way without a spec from the manufacturer, and that's not possible to get now. This detail from the engineer will have to be submitted for approval to the Building Permits and Code Enforcement Office, and they will get to delay me even further while they review what the engineer's detail says and then eventually approve it.

This has messed up our schedule and will cost my customer considerable extra money for the engineer and our work doing the required repairs (unless we luck out and he says the current fix is OK, which I doubt).

So, to the plumber with his sawzall 12 years ago, and to the framing contractor that couldn't read a set of plans and placed a joist where a tub drain needed to be...your legacy gets placed in the TilersForum UK "Hall of Shame"!:lol:

Attachments

• A-M bathroom damaged joist under tub.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

I'd be more worried about it sitting on the wall by all of 10mm:yikes:

S

Stewart

Ripped up a £1000.00 worth of travertine laid on top of floor boards, with plastic ply and a 5mm bed of adhesive!

How do i get pictures to upload from a mac, can't seem to get it to work?

D

Daz

Got pics but can't get them to upload from mac. Any idea's. I just end up with a question mark in a box.
I've never had an issue from my mac Stewart. I'll try a pic now.....hang on.

Image113.jpg

D

Daz

Yep, that worked :thumbsup:.

What format are your pics Stewart? Have you tried reducing them in size?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

016.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 013.jpg 018.jpg

this is a bathroom i striped a couple of weeks ago, dot dab adhesive on to unprimed sand and cement render, 17m2 striped in an hour, they had been falling of for years the customer just kept putting them back on, till she finally gave up and had a bathroom refit and retile.

Reply to Tilers Forums Hall of Shame.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
  • Article
123 Year Old Johnson Tiles Factory to Close Down Causing 110 Job Losses 123 Year Old Johnson...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen