Discuss Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

Qwerty

The test is to demonstrate what would occur should a failure of the tile or grout was to occur and was purely showing how much water different tiles absorb.

Another member once conducted a test with cement grout between tiles which were continually exposed to water. It took less time than he thought for it to reach the substrate.

Porous grout will always absorb water.
A ceramic tile face whether glazed or not will never absorb as much water as the back or sides.

Feel free to conduct a test of your own.

C

Canyondust

Hi.

Even if the grout was removed I still do not feel it is representative of a system test. The glazed part of the tile must be providing significant benefits to protecting against spray ingress.

My real point is that if we conducted a system test (of a wall section) in an environment chamber to simulate spray, water vapour and prolonged high humidity such as one would find in a wet room the glazed tile is likely (this is my hypothesis) perform significantly better than purported.

ASTM 373 really talks about material tests.

D

Dumbo

Hi.

Even if the grout was removed I still do not feel it is representative of a system test. The glazed part of the tile must be providing significant benefits to protecting against spray ingress.

My real point is that if we conducted a system test (of a wall section) in an environment chamber to simulate spray, water vapour and prolonged high humidity such as one would find in a wet room the glazed tile is likely (this is my hypothesis) perform significantly better than purported.

ASTM 373 really talks about material tests.
Crack on then and let us know how you get then . But before you bother i will tell you i have removed ceramic tiles from failed instalations and they have been wet .

C

Canyondust

Any particular reason for your reticence?

Crack on with What? Are people not allowed opinions and comments ?

C

Canyondust

Please read my original post. I have far from said it's worthless. I began by thanking that the work had been completed and I think was very polite.

I am discussing limitations to the tests, and the results, and how they may be interpreted, which is normal. This does not mean what was done has no worth; if not this conversation would not have occurred.

Q

Qwerty

The glaze on the ceramic tile is the only thing preventing it soaking up water when fixed & grouted. This test proved that. The test showed just how much water the ceramic tile absorbed compared to the two grades of porcelain

C

Canyondust

The test is purely a material test. It shows, at room temperature how much water the tile is capable of absorbing, not will.
This does not show how much will be absorbed within the installed system which is also important, the effects of the glaze, etc.

What one can surmise is that this is the worst possible case at room temperature. Whether these situations can occur in reality is another question.

D

Dumbo

The test is purely a material test. It shows, at room temperature how much water the tile is capable of absorbing, not will.
This does not show how much will be absorbed within the installed system which is also important, the effects of the glaze, etc.

What one can surmise is that this is the worst possible case at room temperature. Whether these situations can occur in reality is another question.
As I said and I have experience in this I have removed tiles from failed installations and they have been wet and if they were to be reused they needed time to dry . @Plan Tec Tiling test was to show relative to one another difference in absorbtion of different tile materials .
Trust me cracked grout in an installation and a ceramic tile will take on water .
Just a question do you have a job lot of ceramic bathroom tiles .

C

Canyondust

I do not have any tiles to sell or use and find your comment most disrespectful. It's sad on forums when people think comments like that help anyone.

Grouts (cement) cracked or not will absorb water. Different types at different rates, and different rates at different temperatures.

Your observations are, I am sure helpful.

The test does not show the effect of the glaze, and how the tile will perform in an installed system. It also does not show the difference between a directed jet (of varying temperatures) or that of a humidity test (with a temperature cycle). My original comment was to suggest this will affect the results shown and should be thought about.

Understanding the total amount of water, at room temperature a tile substrate can absorb has it's merits, which I acknowledged originally.
If you have a substrate that cannot absorb water then that's the situation. If you have a substrate which can, Maybe it is a problem. Then place a chemically bonded waterproof cover over it and life changes.

How the tiles actually perform installed is still unknown.

D

Dumbo

Nobody is doubting the performance of a glaze is was always about the body and I will say again I have removed waterlogged tiles from failed installations. They would not of been waterlogged if they were porcelain . Are sure about the tiles

C

Canyondust

The point is that the test is not representative of the installed system, which is what the thread is about and what we are discussing.

This test does not explain why they became 'wet'. The test says they can become 'wet'. How quick, when, why, other factors are not gleaned from the test.

So within an installed system, with some optimised conditions (grouts, gaps, adhesives, air extraction ...) the results may differ from the test; which is where we started.

D

Dumbo

I thought the thread was titled tile water absorbsion experiment not the difference in water absorbsion of a failing tile installation and where we started was with you saying good test but totally irrelevant . Those may not be the words you used but that is how it comes across . Do work for a company that only sells ceramic tiles

C

Canyondust

Again you are very insulting and it's not helpful but somewhat embarrassing.
No I do not sell tiles, work for a company that sells tiles or have any IP or financial gain from tiles.

I did not say it was irrelevant, quite the contrary multiple times.

I have not mentioned failed or otherwise (installed) only that one must look at the installed system not just the component. Are readers not interested in what actually happens in the final system?

The first post says :
'Following on from the discussion in another thread about not fitting ceramic tiles in a shower/ bathroom I have decided to conduct a little experiment.'

It mentions fitting ceramic tiles. Hence my comments about the limitations of the test, and how one may interpret the results.

Reply to Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks