Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United Kingdom
OP
C

Canyondust

Please checkout the following advertisement.
That surprises me. Would that not be based on the grout performance?
One assumes not all grouts are equal ?

I could tile some plaster board with 4 squares of wall tile, grout and then leave a wet sponge on top (all horizontal). Each day top the sponge up and take moisture measurements from the rear.

I edited the previous post to say the tray tiles are marble 50 x 50 (I think)

OP
C

Canyondust

Engineer / scientist

I recall looking at BAL and Mapei the datasheets had very little info. I did speak to a 'technical' guy at Mapei as I was interested in grout permeability but as I can't remember any data I am guessing I got know where. I did set some Mapei ultracolour (what I put on the floor) in a plastic jam jar sized pot. Then removing the thick disc and seeing how long it would take water to pass through. I can't really remember but I think the whole disc darkened quickly.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Engineer / scientist

I recall looking at BAL and Mapei the datasheets had very little info. I did speak to a 'technical' guy at Mapei as I was interested in grout permeability but as I can't remember any data I am guessing I got know where. I did set some Mapei ultracolour (what I put on the floor) in a plastic jam jar sized pot. Then removing the thick disc and seeing how long it would take water to pass through. I can't really remember but I think the whole disc darkened quickly.

Were you sat in your kitchen wearing pants and listening to Radio1 by any chance?

Sorry couldn't resist :)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Totally over my head I am afraid.

Radio 1??? Is it new ?

9E4910A6-D5DE-43B2-84F8-AC79F00DB8E1.jpeg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Was merely enquiring if your 'grout test' was carried out under lab conditions or under the same circumstances to Geoff

OP
C

Canyondust

Ah. I'm not sure quite as advanced as Geoff's mine didn't make it out of the bathroom.

I did try to get the data from a manufacturer I will try again.

To do it in the lab a defined test would need to be written. So does soap for instance affect this ? (I know it makes it happen faster).
I will have a think. I have someone who needs a project and to learn some measurement techniques.

OP
Q

Qwerty

I did try to get the data from a manufacturer I will try again.

I will have a think. I have someone who needs a project and to learn some measurement techniques.

I think I can actually hear the tap-tapping of tile manufacturers adding your email address to their spam/ blocked contacts:D

Without sounding too disrespectful (which this will sound), I don't think anybody here is particularly interested in developing this further. A photo of me in my pants in the kitchen boiling tiles yes, but not a hypothesis on if soap affects water absorption.

You've been a good sport James, and I value your contribution to the forum.

OP
C

Canyondust

No worries

I'm interested to see how a water laiden system absorbs water along the lines of tiles adhered to plasterboard and grouted. I stand on this type of system everyday so be nice to know what's really happening.

I will look forward to many more interesting posts.

Reply to Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock