Discuss Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Canyondust

I appreciate it was stated people may not be interested in further information but should anyone want further information regarding the moisture absorbancy of grouts, the standards and the test framework please pm me and I can discuss.
I spoke to a grout supplier who gave me some data and I also spoke to a colleague of mine at BASF construction chemicals regarding the tests methods and data interpretation.

Aside from that if we take the situation that the grout is saturated, as well as the tile, and one can assume the cement adhesive also, what are the concerns?

Is the concern regarding the cement degrading? The extra mass?
The structure this is fixed to?

C

Canyondust

Any takers ?

Aside from that if we take the situation that the grout is saturated, as well as the tile, and one can assume the cement adhesive also, what are the concerns?

Is the concern regarding the cement degrading? The extra mass?
The structure this is fixed to?

When I have some across failures in the past they have been on installations with unknown adhesives and grouts.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We don't have any concerns as such, any tile installation done properly should last for many years, from experience most shower / wetroom insulation fail due to water ingress from poor installs, poor maintenance or using substandard material's.
Anyone of the above can start a chain reaction leading to a failure.

What more do you really need to know.?

C

Canyondust

What I wish to know is what is actually failing and does saturated tiles matter if the adhesive and structure behind are built with this in mind.

My post suggests the situation that the tile, grout and adhesive is saturated (mimicking the test completed).

Some adhesives quote the adhesion strength after immersion in water, which do drop. However those designed for the role appear to match nominal values for lower priced adhesives.

So to answer your question what are the issue with saturated tiles? Adhesives capable appear to be available ?

The number of failed installations that you have come across must be immense I am interested in what's failed based on the topic of saturated tiles.

Q

Qwerty

What I wish to know is what is actually failing and does saturated tiles matter if the adhesive and structure behind are built with this in mind.

My post suggests the situation that the tile, grout and adhesive is saturated (mimicking the test completed).

Some adhesives quote the adhesion strength after immersion in water, which do drop. However those designed for the role appear to match nominal values for lower priced adhesives.

So to answer your question what are the issue with saturated tiles? Adhesives capable appear to be available ?

The number of failed installations that you have come across must be immense I am interested in what's failed based on the topic of saturated tiles.

Post your question in a new thread. This one is going off on a tangent

C

Canyondust

It's completely related to wet ceramic tiles nothing else - I wrote the post.

I want to ensure to output of the tests are linked to the effects. Makes little sense otherwise.

Q

Qwerty

It's completely related to wet ceramic tiles nothing else - I wrote the post.

I want to ensure to output of the tests are linked to the effects. Makes little sense otherwise.

It wasn't a request. I will do it for you if you don't. You want to conduct a test then crack on. I am actually interested in the results, but this thread is perfect because of its simplicity. You are over complicating it.

L

LM

@Canyondust you seem intent on coming across as some kind of know all scientist with a question for any response given to any question asked. We on this forum for the large part earn our money by installing tiles under the advice and direction given to us by companies like Isomat, Ardex,Mapei,Bostik,Kerakoll,Schonox,Botament and Istarmac but to name a few. If you are serious and truly confident in your questions and objections then why don’t you publically challenge the thousands of chemists and engineers that these companies employ who set the standards for us to follow, or is that a fight you’re too smart to pick?

C

Canyondust

I believe I am asking yourselves questions and the information I have is from the suppliers.
I have no evidence or reason to doubt the information they have kindly provided, including how it's obtained. I have not objected to any manufacturer data unless you can show me otherwise.

My questions are based on the tests at the start of this thread, which showed the ceramic tile absorbed more water. The questions are why is this a problem?

I fail to see asking what issues you have come across is 'no it all'. Again it's just being offensive to a person wanting to understand where to pay more attention to in future. I do not see why wanting to improve an installation is such a problem.

No complication involved simply a wish to understand what the issues are with the results. A test that shows a possibility of more water absorption. Why is this a problem? Can these problems be mitigated ?

D

Dumbo

Here is one problem . If you have porous grout with a ceramic tile you can get shadowing around the edge of the tile . Wouldn't happen with porcelain .

Q

Qwerty

There you go again!!!!!

My questions are based on the tests at the start of this thread, which showed the ceramic tile absorbed more water. The questions are why is this a problem?

That is your question right there. I will create your thread shortly.

Reply to Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks