Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss tile over anhydrite screeds in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

toshtiles11771

Hi

Looking for a bit of advice, I have been ask to tile a kitchen and shower room floor in a new build by a contractor. Just found out today it has a anhydrite screed on the down stair floor.

I have looked on the net for information and it said that it has to be mechanically [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]abraded and an appropriate primer to be used.

Just looking for any information or advice from anyone who has tiled app on this type of screed.

Thanks
Tosh Tiling
[/FONT]

G

Gazzer

On a more personal level. When faced with these screeds I Sand the floor with a 7" rotary sander with 40grit discs. I hoover the remaining dust away and I have used N&C Gypfix adhesive.

T

toshtiles11771

what type of primer did you use ? Flexi cement base adhesive ? slow or rapid set ?
It's just I've read a few posts of the tiles failing, its a big area and don't fancy having to fork out for any rework.

G

Gazzer

There is no need to prime with Gypfix according to the manufacturers as it is a gypsum based adhesive.

T

toshtiles11771

thanks for all inputs guys ! Yes there is to be tiling in a shower room (not wet Room), is it still recommended to tank floor even if there is a shower tray ?

W

White Room

From reading Garys post, the floor where it's going to tiled in the shower room will need tanking....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tanking in the shower. Ideally a joint in the screed between the shower and the non shower but if its not there tank beyond the bit that will get most of the water. no tanking required elsewhere.

1. Abrade the floor as already described ( I usually go for 60 grit but 40 is fine)
2. Make sure the underfloor heating is comissioned and run ( properly!!)
3. vacuum any remaining dust
4. Test it to make sure it's dry enough
5. Tile it.

If tanking is used you are fine to use a flexi cement adhesive ( I would Recomend thisin the wet areas anyway)

Everywhere else you do ot necessarily need a primer

Here is a listof adhesives which can be used primerless

CSA from granfix
tile to Gypsum from norcross
gypfix from n&c nicobond
h 40 Eco ideal from kerakoll
benfergyps from benfer

There are probably a few others that I don't know

Reply to tile over anhydrite screeds in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks