Currently reading:
The best primer and Adhesive for anhydrite screed

Discuss The best primer and Adhesive for anhydrite screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Use an anhydrite compatible adhesive. Here's a list of manufacturers, although it's not exhaustive, and the primer from the same manufacturer to fix the ditra. On top of it you can use your usual flexible cement based adhesive. Also a flowchart that helps you ensure all the steps are followed

Broken Link Removed

[DLMURL]http://gypsol.co.uk/media/1170/guide-sheet-4-flooring-flowchart.pdf[/DLMURL]

Don't forget you might need a movement joint or two in an area that big.

ring me if you need any other advice 07966651006

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

Meant to say, it's funny how quick you get used to these screeds.
Looked at a job last week, 4 floors, 2 downstairs on top of a Gyvlon screed.
Speaking to the builder & he was convinced it was a cement based screed till I showed him what needs done to it.
I think he was a but dubious what I was telling him, got a phone call a few days later to say that everything I had told him was exactly what the screed guy told him.
Only problem I picked up was that the screed guy told him it was 1mm per day drying time, I had to explain that that information only goes to 40mm then it's 1mm every 2 days.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You will rarely see movement joints in anhydrite. However if the tile face needs a joint e.g. Large bays, door thresholds, etc this these should be installed regardless of whether or not you see a joint in the screed. Sometimes the joints are not required in the screed and sometimes they are just beneath the surface of the screed so you can't see them. Not ideal I know but it is the best way for the screeders.

S

Sean SML Tiling

You will rarely see movement joints in anhydrite. However if the tile face needs a joint e.g. Large bays, door thresholds, etc this these should be installed regardless of whether or not you see a joint in the screed. Sometimes the joints are not required in the screed and sometimes they are just beneath the surface of the screed so you can't see them. Not ideal I know but it is the best way for the screeders.
When separating the floors in bays is it ok to use a 3mm silicone joint as a movement joint?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
When separating the floors in bays is it ok to use a 3mm silicone joint as a movement joint?

Yes that's ok provided the floor doesn't expand by. More than about 2mm. Movement joints though are usually 5mm in my experience

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ok on anhydrite screed 80mts and I've separated the floor 6 bays as there is 6 uhf zones. Customer didn't want industrial joints and went for silicone.

The screed itself hardly moves so that bit will be fine. Can't say for the tiles though.

J

J&K

We have an Anhydrite screed floor laid last July and tiled in October. Screed depth 70-75mm. We tiled the floor before the UFH was commissioned, which reading this thread was our (expensive) mistake. The tiles have de-bonded from the floor and we have last weekend taken up 75sq m of 800x800mm porcelain tiles, salvaging about 50%. Inspecting the adhesive the primer is attached to it, so the primer has separated from the screed. We scraped the floor twice to remove the shiny top appearance, at 90 deg for each pass. This presumably was to remove the laitance? I assume there must have been trapped mositure that casued the de-bonding?
The average thickness of the adhesive is 20mm, and on one small area where we laid some levelling compound it has not de-bonded.
The UFH has been on during the winter for several days and for a week since removing the tiles. It must now be moisture free.
Having reordered replacement tiles, I would appreciate advice on what process to now follow in relaying the them.
I have read we should remove laitance which I assume is the top of the screed. How do we do this effectively?
Then should we use a Ditra type matting now that the floor is completely dry?
If no matting is recommended and we need 20mm of adhesive to bring the tile to the correct level height, should we use the Tile Master AnhyFix only, or can we use a rapid set flexible adhesive?
Appreciate any advice that can be given.

A standard anhydrite screed at 75mm would take 110 days to dry fully, (5 months), but depends on what was used.

Also, what primer did you use, did you dilute it and how many coats did you give it? Also what adhesive?

Did you follow the correct procedures for turning on the ufh?

Sorry for all the questions,just trying to see what went wrong so you don't get a repeat :)

Last edited:

Reply to The best primer and Adhesive for anhydrite screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement