Search the forum,

Discuss Stud wall thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Need to build a stud wall in the bathroom, as I am splitting the room into 2. The smaller part will be the new shower area.
Q. What is the least thickness of stud wall I can get away with?
Q. Can I get away with using 6mm Hardibacker to hang 450x320x9 ceramic Padova tiles?

The wall will be 2mx2.3m.

Thanks Sean

C

cornish_crofter

Sean

I would have thought you would be fine with a wall made using 3x2 joists.

This would give you a 4" wall assuming you put 1/2" plasterboard on one side and 1/2" hardibacker on the other.

I wouldn't normally use 6mm hardibacker on a wall straight onto joists for any tile unless there was a weight issues with the wall construction, then I would add extra joists and limit the thickness of the tile. You would be better off using 12mm in place of plasterboard.

S

Swanseajack

As Cornish said, use 3x2 at 400 centres, put some noggings in aswell. Cheaper to board with 12.5mm plaster board, 2 boards @ £4.50 or 5,12mm Hardibackers @ £9.99 +.

M

mikethetile

3x2 is ok but in plenty of noggins as you dont want any flex in the wall and use flexi addy and grout as a precaution

hardie is an expensive way of doing it, you could plasterboard and tank in vulnerable areas

if your putting a door frame in be aware that a standard lining will come in overwidth and will need reducing before fitting

Reply to Stud wall thickness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen