Search the forum,

Discuss SLC directly onto chipboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Bonito

I've just lifted up an old mosaic tiled bathroom floor to find levelling compound directly onto the chipboard floor.
How do I level it for re-tiling? Is there an easier route than laying ply over the top, re-levelling, and lifting all the fittings by a couple of centimeters?
Thanks for any advice

C

cornish_crofter

There are easier routes but I would scrape it off and lay 6mm ply over the top, first making sure that the chip board is secured properly.

G

Gazzer

6mm ply is far too thin. If you can go with 6mm then you could use a tile backer board.

C

cornish_crofter

I thought 6mm ply was the standard prep for tiling onto suspended timber floors Neale?

I would agree, the 6mm Hardibacker is probably a better product though.

G

grumpygrouter

I thought 6mm ply was the standard prep for tiling onto suspended timber floors Neale?

Only if you are a joiner Hugo.....6mm is far too thin IMO. More chance of getting voids underneath I feel. Would prefer prsonally to go straight down onto chipboard with Ardexflex 7001 or even (god forbid!) fastflex if I had to!!

M

mikethetile

18 mm is reccomended on suspended wood floors as any thing less flexs with the floor

6mm hardie backer well fixed down will do the same job

C

cornish_crofter

Ignore my first post, the real experts have spoken, not the pretender that is me!

Reply to SLC directly onto chipboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for advice laying these floor tiles. My bathroom is chipboard. I’m going to get...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I came across this forum searching for info so my first post. I'm renovating 1890's...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen