Discuss Shower niche on stud wall in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Z

Zbjsy

Hi,
Just getting our bathroom redone and it's all stud walls. Where shower is, stud wall built to go over soil pipe so I wanted a shower niche but the fitter isn't recommending it. He is worried that if the wood warps, could cause the grout to crack and water to run down behind stud wall where the niche is.

I can see you can get premade inserts but these all seem to be in America, anyone sell them in uk? Or any advice I can give to Tiler based on your experiences?
Thanks

D

diamondtiling

What are you building the walls with? If its ply then forget it and use aqua panels or plasterboard and a tanking system. Building the niche is straight forward enough, perhaps your tiler just does not want to do it?

S

Stewart

As above.... 3x2 minimum stud work, with backer boards and taped or plasterboard and tanked. All quite easy, but time consuming, so expected to be charged for it. Sounds like your tiler doesn't want to do it, or maybe doesn't know how....!
Here's a pic of one I did earlier.....
IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1611.jpg

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Dom (Diamondtiling) for me, as long as you use the correct materials adhesive, grout etc. not a major job:thumbsup: good luck.

Z

Zbjsy

Thanks for quick replies. It's a wooden frame, ply where shower control bit goes, and looks rest will be plasterboard that bit not done yet

D

diamondtiling

Dont let him fit ply in a shower area, there is no need for that at all. You are at the stage right now to avoid some major potential pitfalls. Your tiler/builder whatever he is needs to use waterproof backer boards in the shower area, if he uses plasterboard then he needs to use a tanking system, its a British standard for all wet areas. If he is unsure of these requirements then you should be stopping the job now and getting someone in who is aware of these procedures.

Can you post pictures of where your up to with the installation?

Reply to Shower niche on stud wall in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks