Search the forum,

Discuss Should we stay clear of B&Q tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wetdec

Re: Should we stay clear of b+q tiles

I think you have to look at it as B&Q offers are there to get you to buy a 4.50 drum of paste for 15 quid, if they are cheap then they are selling you cheap tiles. 10m of tiles might make them 10 quid but 2 drums of paste make them 20quid.

6.99 white and black porcelain in B&Q is cream/grey and brown

Its as they say and this is so so true of tiles you get exactly what you pay for.

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
B

burncross

good choice of tiles at b&q, quality not too bad, used worse

C

chille

Steve I would use a one part flexi addhesive and 1 part flexi grout for the whole job, but you could use a standard rapid set on the concrete area, but get them vinyl's up.

As for 6mm ply then I wouldn't guarantee it on that would take it up and put 6mm hardibacker boards down instead. However if they dont want to do that get a signature saying they insist that you lay on hte 6mm ply and it is against your reccomendation.

The price is dependant on how long you think it would take you. 35 sqm on the floor including overboarding for £525 is cheap, but if you can do it in 3 days then go for it, it all depends on the overall job are you cutting around kitchen end panels having to move fridges, freezers, washing machines, planing down doors etc ?

Personally I want minimum £150 a day scrambling around on my knees :lol:

Q

quick draw macgraw

Thanks mate there's no utilities in there just cutting around units, was going to tell him to take unibond grout back and use superflex on whole floor. How much is 6mm hardibacker for 5.5m2 as ply not layed yet.

Cheers Steve.

C

chille

I pay £7 for a 600mm x 1200mm board bed it on 1 part flexi addy, a litre of acrylic bonding brushed over before laying and it all sticks like sh*t to a blanket :yes:

Q

quick draw macgraw

Where do you get your boards from and do you use nails and joint tape or just the adhesive. Have you had many tiles crack on 6mm or have you not used 6mm.

Steve.

C

chille

I get them from a local independant m8, use 20mm screws not nails and no joining tape. Personally I have never layed on 6mm ply because there is too much spring in it, might as well just screw floor boards down and say a little prayer :lol:

Q

quick draw macgraw

Cheers i'm under little pressure at the mo cos i'm giving him a price today and trying to get stuff in my head what i'm going to put to him about ply, pricing etc.

C

chille

sent you a PM hope it helps in explaining it to the client

A

ad tiling

used b+q tiles today some were 2mm longer than others , asked
customer if he had dropped any if the boxes he said no , as 2 boxes
out of 5 had to be returned because the corners where cracked.

Reply to Should we stay clear of B&Q tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen